Find the general solution of the following differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a differential equation involving x and y. The equation is x(dy/dx) = y + sqrt[(x^2)-(y^2)]. The person is struggling with this equation and is looking for help and clarification on how to approach it. They have attempted to divide both sides by x but are unsure of the next step. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try letting y=ux.
Illusionist

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the following differential equation:
x.(dy/dx) = y + sqrt.[(x^2) - (y^2)]

Homework Equations

I'm working through my excerise book and have been able to get through quite a few differential equations with success, but this one really does stump me. I think it's the sqrt.[(x^2) - (y^2)] that gets me confused.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step was to divide both sides by x to get dy/dx alone, hence:
(dy/dx) = y + [ sqrt.[(x^2) - (y^2)] / x ]

This is where I begin to get lost. My natural instinct is to try and separate the x and y's but I can't seem to and the next step for is a mystery to me. I'm having a lot of troule identifying what sort of approach to use.

Any help would be very appreciated, thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Illusionist said:
My first step was to divide both sides by x to get dy/dx alone, hence:
(dy/dx) = y + [ sqrt.[(x^2) - (y^2)] / x ]

Not quite. You get,

(dy/dx) = y/x + sqrt.[1 - (y/x)^2]

Try y=ux

Related to Find the general solution of the following differential equation

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It represents the rate of change of a variable over time and is often used to model real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What is a general solution?

A general solution is a solution to a differential equation that includes all possible solutions. It is usually expressed in terms of a constant, which can take different values for different specific solutions.

How do you find the general solution of a differential equation?

To find the general solution of a differential equation, you must first determine the order of the equation and then solve it by integrating both sides. This will result in an equation with a constant, which can then be substituted with different values to find specific solutions.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution includes all possible solutions to a differential equation, while a particular solution is a specific solution obtained by substituting a constant value into the general solution. In other words, a general solution represents a family of solutions, while a particular solution represents one member of that family.

Why is finding the general solution important?

Finding the general solution allows us to understand the behavior and patterns of a system described by a differential equation. It also allows us to find specific solutions for different initial conditions, making it a powerful tool in modeling and predicting real-world phenomena.