Find the Ideal Rocket for Interstellar Travel

• Thread starter mrspeedybob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses the most efficient way to use fuel for a rocket designed for interstellar travel. It is determined that light propulsion with matter-antimatter fuel is the most efficient, but it is not the most energy-efficient. The equation for momentum of energy is E=pc and the energy directed rearward is less than the energy equivalent of 1kg, resulting in extra energy for the ship. This is due to the red-shifting of light radiated for propulsion in the ship's rest frame.
mrspeedybob
Suppose I am building a rocket for interstellar travel. I want it to be able to go as fast as possible for a given fuel load.

Since the momentum of my rocket will equal the momentum of the fuel I eject from the back of it, it behooves me to eject the fuel with as high a velocity as possible. However, momentum is proportional to velocity but kinetic energy is proportional to velocity squared so the higher the velocity of my exhaust the less energy efficient my rocket is. Since the energy must be obtained by converting some fuel mass into energy I set about trying to figure out the best use of fuel. What portion of the fuel mass should be converted to energy and what portion should be shot out the back as reaction mass?

During my research I came across this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy–momentum_relation. This seems to say that the greatest momentum my fuel will ever have is when I convert it all to energy and emit it from the rear of my rocket as massless radiation. Did I understand that properly?

Assuming that I did, The equation for momentum of energy given by the article is E=pc. since E=mc2 the momentum of a given mass of fuel converted to radiation should be...
mc2=pc
mc=p
Now this appears startlingly Newtonian. p=mv which in this case is p=mc.

Ok, so now suppose I have a 1,000,001 kg star ship and I begin my journey by burning 1 kg of fuel. My (now 1,000,000 kg) star ship should accelerate to about 300 m/s. But now my ship has a kinetic energy of about 45 gigajoules (relative to my former frame of reference). Where did it come from? Apparently if I wound up with 45 GJ, the energy I directed rearward should have been 45 GJ less then the energy equivalent of 1kg. But if the energy I directed rearward was less, then my 45 GJ number will be less also. How to I calculate how much of the kg of energy I emit from the rear, and how much is added to my star ships kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, yes, light propulsion is the most efficient use of fuel. But it requires matter-antimatter fuel. If you have that, and you find way to actually direct the produced gamma radiation, you have the most efficient engine.

In terms of your conundrum with extra energy, you need to realize that from rest frame, in which ship is gaining energy, the light radiated by the ship for propulsion is getting red-shifted, and therefore, has less energy than in the ship's frame.

P.S. By "most efficient", I mean most fuel-efficient. That is, highest gain of momentum per weight of fuel. It's not most energy-efficient. Optimal energy efficiency will depend on your target velocity.

1. What is the ideal size for an interstellar travel rocket?

The ideal size for an interstellar travel rocket would depend on the specific mission and payload requirements. Generally, a larger size would allow for more fuel and equipment, but it would also require more energy to launch and maneuver.

2. What type of fuel is best for interstellar travel?

The most commonly used fuel for interstellar travel is liquid hydrogen as it provides high energy output and is relatively lightweight. However, other alternative fuels are being researched, such as nuclear fusion or antimatter, which could potentially provide even more efficient energy sources.

3. How fast does a rocket need to travel for interstellar travel?

The speed of a rocket for interstellar travel would need to be significantly faster than current space exploration missions. According to NASA, a speed of at least 10% of the speed of light, or 30,000 km/s, would be required to reach the nearest stars in a reasonable amount of time.

4. What materials are needed to withstand interstellar travel?

The materials used for an interstellar travel rocket would need to be strong enough to withstand high speeds, extreme temperatures, and exposure to cosmic radiation. This could include advanced metals, ceramics, and composites, as well as radiation shielding materials.

5. How long would it take to develop an interstellar travel rocket?

The development of an interstellar travel rocket would likely take several decades, if not longer, due to the complex nature of the technology and the need for extensive testing and refinement. It would also require significant funding and collaboration among scientists and engineers from various fields of study.