Find the induced magnetic current on the inner of two rings

In summary, the induced current in the inner loop can be calculated using the equation I=ε/R, where ε is the change in magnetic flux and R is the resistance of the loop. To find ε, we can use the equation ε=Phi/t, where Phi is the area multiplied by the magnitude of the magnetic field. Using the formula B=mu*I/2R, we can find the magnetic field at each loop, and then use the formula V=PHI1-PHI2/t to calculate the change in magnetic flux. Finally, we can use the formula I=V/R to find the induced current, which in this case is 4.79 nA.
rocapp

Homework Statement

A small, 1.60-mm-diameter circular loop with R = 1.10×10−2Ω is at the center of a large 120-mm-diameter circular loop. Both loops lie in the same plane. The current in the outer loop changes from + 1A to -1A in 8.00×10^−2s .

What is the induced current in the inner loop? in nA

Homework Equations

I=ε/R
ε=Phi/t
Phi=A*B

The Attempt at a Solution

I=ε/R

Phi=(Area)*(Magnitude of field)
Phi = (PI*(8x10^-4^2 m^2)*??)

I am completely unsure of what to do after this. Please help! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I tried this:

B=mu*I/2R

B1=4PIx10^-7 * +1 / 2*(1.1x10^-2)= 0.000785 T

B2=4PIx10^-7 * -1 / 2*(1.1x10^-2)= -0.000785 T

I=V/R

V=PHI1-PHI2/t

PHI1=A*B1

PHI1=PI*(8x10^-4)^2 * 0.000785 =1.58x10^-9

PHI2=A*B2=PI*(8x10^-4)^2 * - 0.000785=-1.58x10^-9

V=(1.58x10^-9)*2/(8x10^-2)
V=3.95x10^-8

I=V/R

I=(3.95x10^-8)/(1.1x10^-2)
I=3.59x10^-6 A =3590 nA

Yes?I submitted, but this was not correct. The correct answer was 4.79 nA. Can anyone please explain how?

Last edited:

Related to Find the induced magnetic current on the inner of two rings

What is meant by "induced magnetic current"?

Induced magnetic current refers to the flow of electric charges that is created by a changing magnetic field. This current only exists as long as the magnetic field is changing and can be induced in conductive materials.

What are the two rings in this context?

The two rings refer to two concentric circular loops that are placed close to each other. One of the rings is the source of the changing magnetic field, while the other is the location where the induced magnetic current is being measured.

How is the induced magnetic current calculated on the inner of two rings?

The induced magnetic current on the inner ring can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced current is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop. This can be mathematically represented as I = -N(dΦ/dt), where I is the induced current, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

What factors affect the magnitude of the induced magnetic current?

The magnitude of the induced magnetic current depends on several factors, including the strength and rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the loop, the material and size of the loop, and the distance between the two rings.

What are some real-world applications of finding the induced magnetic current on the inner of two rings?

One common application is in transformers, where changing the magnetic field in one ring induces an electric current in the other ring, allowing for efficient transfer of energy. This principle is also used in generators, motors, and other electromagnetic devices. Additionally, studying induced magnetic current can help in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and can have applications in wireless power transfer and communication technologies.