Find the inertia of a sphere radius R with rotating axis through the center

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct moment of inertia of a sphere and the use of different variables such as r, dm, dV, and sigma. The final equation for the moment of inertia is given as I = σ4π∫0Rr4dr = 3MR2/5, which is incorrect. The conversation also clarifies the use of r as the distance from the center of rotation and the importance of understanding spherical coordinates in this context. The correct equation for moment of inertia is I = ∫r2dm, which can be reduced to a double integral using rotational symmetry. The volume element used in the integral should be a ring or cylindrical shell, rather than a spherical shell.
annamal
Homework Statement
Find the moment of inertia of a sphere with axis through the center
Relevant Equations
##I = \int{r^2dm}##
$$I = \int{r^2dm}$$
$$dm = \sigma dV$$
$$dV = 4\pi r^2dr$$
$$\sigma = \frac{M}{\frac{4}{3}\pi*R^3}$$
$$I = \sigma 4 \pi \int_0^R{r^4 dr} = \frac{3*MR^2}{5},$$
which is not the correct moment of inertia of a sphere

Physics news on Phys.org
annamal said:
$$I = \int{r^2dm}$$
Where r is what, exactly?

haruspex said:
Where r is what, exactly?
The distance from center of rotation.

annamal said:
The distance from center of rotation.
But that is not how you used it later. You substituted the distance from the centre of the sphere.

Likes bob012345
haruspex said:
But that is not how you used it later. You substituted the distance from the centre of the sphere.
Note the problem says sphere has a rotating axis through the center so distance from center of sphere to outside would be 0 to R

annamal said:
Note the problem says sphere has a rotating axis through the center so distance from center of sphere to outside would be 0 to R
But the distance from an arbitrary point within the sphere to its centre is not (in general) the distance from the point to a given axis through the centre.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
annamal said:
I think it would help you to sketch a picture of the situation.

OP as both posters before me mentioned: ##r## is the distance to the axis.

Are you familiar with spherical coordinates? (If not then get familiar with them ASAP). Be mindful of the different conventions (math vs physics).

##\theta## is the angle from the z-axis going from ##0## to ##\pi##. Draw an arbitrary radial vector and find the component that is perpendicular to the z-axis.

Because there is now angular dependence your new ##dV## will have to reflect that.

Likes Lnewqban
haruspex said:
But the distance from an arbitrary point within the sphere to its centre is not (in general) the distance from the point to a given axis through the centre.
I don't understand that. Can you draw something to illustrate that?

annamal said:
I don't understand that. Can you draw something to illustrate that?
We were hoping that you yourself would draw a picture to clarify it in your mind but I will give you a word picture to get started.

Imagine a sphere. Draw a pole through the center in some direction. Now, pick an arbitrary point inside the sphere somewhere. Now draw a line segment from the center of the sphere to that point. Draw another line segment from that point to the pole which is the minimum distance between the point and the pole, i.e. not generally through the center. If your point was an arbitrary point, they should be different lengths.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
We were hoping that you yourself would draw a picture to clarify it in your mind but I will give you a word picture to get started.

Imagine a sphere. Draw a pole through the center in some direction. Now, pick an arbitrary point inside the sphere somewhere. Now draw a line segment from the center of the sphere to that point. Draw another line segment from that point to the pole which is the minimum distance between the point and the pole, i.e. not generally through the center. If your point was an arbitrary point, they should be different lengths.
Yes I see that.
##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##
so ##I = \int{r^2dm} = I = \int_{-R}^{R}{R^2 - y^2}*\sigma 4\pi y^2 dy##

Is that correct?

@annamal

609A540F-5D6E-4A69-BC4B-C1615352542D.jpeg

annamal said:
Yes I see that.
##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##

Is that correct?
Your diagram should also illustrate the elements you are summing.
In principle, this is a volume integral. You can reduce it to a double integral using rotational symmetry about the sphere's axis of rotation, but you still have two largely independent variables of integration: the height y from the equatorial plane and the distance of the mass element from the axis. They interact only in that the height affects the range of the radius.

Edit:
From ##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##, it looks like you are using a spherical shell as your volume element. That cannot work because not all parts of it are the same distance from the rotational axis. Start with a ring element, or a cylindrical shell.

Last edited:
annamal said:
Yes I see that.
##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##

Is that correct?
Closer but not exactly correct yet. How did you get ##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##?

bob012345 said:
Closer but not exactly correct yet. How did you get ##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##?
##V = \frac 4 3 \pi r^3##, so ##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##
What is wrong with that?

PhDeezNutz said:
r (distance indicated) = ##\sqrt{r^2 - y^2}##
Thus
##I = \int{r^2dm} = I = \int_{-R}^{R}{R^2 - y^2}*\sigma 4\pi y^2 dy##

annamal said:
##V = \frac 4 3 \pi r^3##, so ##dV = 4\pi y^2 dy##
What is wrong with that?
First, what follows from ##V = \frac 4 3 \pi r^3## is that ##dV = 4\pi r^2 dr##.
Secondly, as I pointed out in post #13, ##4\pi r^2 dr## would be a spherical shell element. That is of no help since different parts of it are at different distances from the axis of rotation.

Btw, I have been assuming this is for the moment of inertia of a solid sphere. Please clarify whether it is that or a spherical shell. Your answer is wrong either way.

Last edited:
annamal said:
r (distance indicated) = ##\sqrt{r^2 - y^2}##
Thus
##I = \int{r^2dm} = I = \int_{-R}^{R}{R^2 - y^2}*\sigma 4\pi y^2 dy##

Please have a look at this page http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sphc.html
000FBB11-A5E0-4122-B334-11A887DF6D4A.png

For an entire sphere ##\theta## ranges from ##0## to ##\pi## and ##\phi## ranges from ##0## to ##2 \pi##

Are you familiar with multi-variable calculus? Is it a pre-req or co-req for your class? If not then I think it would be very difficult to confirm the moment of inertia for a sphere.

Last edited:

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion or rest. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change the velocity or direction of an object.

2. How is inertia related to rotation?

When an object is rotating, it has rotational inertia, which is the tendency of the object to resist changes in its rotational motion. This is similar to how an object at rest has inertia, resisting changes in its linear motion.

3. How is the inertia of a sphere with rotating axis through the center calculated?

The inertia of a sphere with rotating axis through the center is calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * m * R^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and R is the radius.

4. Does the mass of the sphere affect its inertia?

Yes, the inertia of a sphere is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a sphere with a larger mass will have a greater inertia compared to a sphere with a smaller mass.

5. How does the radius of the sphere affect its inertia?

The radius of the sphere also affects its inertia. As the radius increases, the inertia of the sphere also increases. This is because the mass of the sphere is distributed farther from the axis of rotation, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.