Find the interference function for different emission modes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the interference function ##I(\delta)## for a Michelson interferometer where the emission is analyzed. The equation for ##I(\delta)## is given and the question arises about how to find it when there are multiple modes with different frequencies and intensities. The author is unsure if the modes can be treated as separate sources.
DragonBlight
Homework Statement:: Find the interference function ##I(\delta)## where The emission is analyze by a Michelson interferometer.
Relevant Equations:: ##I(\delta) = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} G(k) r^{ik \delta} dk## ##I(\vec{r}) = I_1 + I_i + 2 \sqrt(I_1 I_i) cos (k\delta)##

I have 5 modes where there frequency are V, V+5ghz, V-5ghz. V+10ghz, V-10ghz and there intensity are, I, I/2, I/2, I/4, I/4.
The emission is analyze by a Michelson interferometer.

Since there are different modes what should be the way to find the interference function ##I(\delta)## I'm used to find ##I(\delta)## for some emission lines analyzed at one point, thus we can sum all the ##I_i##.

I'm not quite sure if the question is clear.

Science news on Phys.org
Section 2.3 of this document the author is talking about 2 frequencies but if instead of the 2 frequencies we have 5 different modes.

I have another question. Can the modes be used as 5 different sources?

1. What is an interference function?

An interference function is a mathematical function that describes the interference pattern produced when two or more waves interact with each other. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of electromagnetic waves and other types of waves in various systems.

2. How is the interference function related to emission modes?

The interference function is directly related to emission modes as it describes how the waves emitted from different sources interfere with each other. By understanding the interference function, we can determine the characteristics of the emission modes and how they will interact.

3. How do you find the interference function for different emission modes?

The interference function can be found by using mathematical techniques such as Fourier analysis or Green's functions. These methods allow us to analyze the waves emitted from different sources and determine how they will interfere with each other.

4. What factors affect the interference function?

The interference function is affected by various factors such as the wavelength, amplitude, and phase of the waves, as well as the distance between the sources and the medium through which the waves travel. Other factors such as the shape and orientation of the sources can also impact the interference function.

5. How is the interference function used in practical applications?

The interference function has many practical applications, such as in the design of optical instruments, telecommunications systems, and radar technology. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of subatomic particles. Additionally, understanding the interference function can help improve the performance of various technologies by optimizing the interference patterns for specific purposes.