Using multiple mirrors in Michelson Interferometer

In summary: Experimentally, I guess you could start with the two arms equal in length and then gradually change the length of one arm. The pattern will change as you do this, but what you want to monitor is the contrast in the pattern. At some point it will get washed out.
rkatcosmos
The number of mirrors typically used in Michelson Interferometer is 2. I am looking up the respective Wikipedia article and MIT's youtube video.

I am wondering, for the sake of one of my experiment, whether more than 2 mirrors can be used in the interferometer? I require the traversing mirror to be in a remote location and moving is a non-orthogonal line. I intend to use more mirrors to get the interference pattern. I wish to know if this is feasible.

Science news on Phys.org
rkatcosmos said:
The number of mirrors typically used in Michelson Interferometer is 2. I am looking up the respective Wikipedia article and MIT's youtube video.

I am wondering, for the sake of one of my experiment, whether more than 2 mirrors can be used in the interferometer? I require the traversing mirror to be in a remote location and moving is a non-orthogonal line. I intend to use more mirrors to get the interference pattern. I wish to know if this is feasible.
You can add extra mirrors to the two paths. One thing that I believe is necessary is that the mirrors do need to be optically flat, at least in order to get optimal results.

Are you saying that one arm of the interferometer would be significantly longer than the other arm?

pixel said:
Are you saying that one arm of the interferometer would be significantly longer than the other arm?
Yes. More like the image attached.
IIuGt

Attachments

• Modified michelson interferometer.png
    Modified michelson interferometer.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 457
rkatcosmos said:
Yes. More like the image attached.

You should make sure that the coherence length of the laser is large enough for the distances you are contemplating, otherwise you will not get an interference pattern: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherence_length

Likes rkatcosmos and Charles Link
There is the requirement that the optical path distances of the two arms do need to be within a coherence length of each other. Depending upon the nature of the source this could place some restrictions on your apparatus, as @pixel has just responded.

pixel said:
You should make sure that the coherence length of the laser is large enough for the distances you are contemplating, otherwise you will not get an interference pattern: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherence_length
Thanks for this info. I was not aware of this.
Is there a way to estimate the coherance length, in case my laser manufacturer does not specify this detail in the specification?

rkatcosmos said:
Thanks for this info. I was not aware of this.
Is there a way to estimate the coherance length, in case my laser manufacturer does not specify this detail in the specification?

Experimentally, I guess you could start with the two arms equal in length and then gradually change the length of one arm. The pattern will change as you do this, but what you want to monitor is the contrast in the pattern. At some point it will get washed out. That will tell you by how much the two arm lengths can differ.

Likes Charles Link

1. How does using multiple mirrors affect the interference pattern in a Michelson Interferometer?

Using multiple mirrors in a Michelson Interferometer increases the number of reflections and thus the path length difference between the two arms. This results in a more complex interference pattern with additional fringes and a smaller fringe visibility.

2. What is the purpose of using multiple mirrors in a Michelson Interferometer?

The use of multiple mirrors in a Michelson Interferometer allows for a longer path length difference between the two arms, which can increase the sensitivity of the interference pattern. It also allows for the measurement of larger wavelengths of light.

3. How do you calculate the number of fringes in a Michelson Interferometer with multiple mirrors?

The number of fringes in a Michelson Interferometer with multiple mirrors can be calculated using the formula: N = 2d/λ, where N is the number of fringes, d is the path length difference between the two arms, and λ is the wavelength of the light source.

4. Can using multiple mirrors in a Michelson Interferometer improve the resolution of the interference pattern?

Yes, using multiple mirrors in a Michelson Interferometer can improve the resolution of the interference pattern by increasing the path length difference between the two arms. This allows for more precise measurements of the interference fringes.

5. Are there any limitations to using multiple mirrors in a Michelson Interferometer?

One limitation of using multiple mirrors in a Michelson Interferometer is that it can increase the complexity of the setup and make it more prone to disturbances and misalignments. Additionally, using multiple mirrors may also result in a decrease in the intensity of the interference pattern due to additional reflections.