Find the largest initial velocity

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum height of a projectile that hits a target (in this case the ceiling) and then calculates the trajectory. However, the equation does not mention whether the serve has to be a good one or not (i.e., it doesn't specify that it needs to make it over the net, or land inside the opposing team's court area). After looking up some average volley ball serves, it seems that it's not too far fetched for the projectile to make it over the net.
CGI

Homework Statement

upload_2016-1-25_10-23-31.png

Homework Equations

I know that this could be solved through kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could use the range equation to solve for Vo, but since there is an initial height, I don't think that could work. I thought that maybe I could use the height of a projectile equation

30 = 3 + (Vo^2sin^2(78)/(2g)) but the numbers don't work out for me.

I would really appreciate the help right now!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should not consider the initial height of 3ft. For the ball to not hit the ceiling, it's maximum height should be equal to the vertical distance between ceiling and the point of projection. Also, make sure you convert 'g' into ft/s2.

I notice that the problem doesn't mention whether the serve has to be a good one or not (i.e., it doesn't specify that it needs to make it over the net, or land inside the opposing team's court area). I think that losing those criteria would make things much easier :wink:

Oh okay. You're right that would definitely help. Okay then, for example, if it needed to get to Point B, could I say

30 = Vo^2sin^2theta/2g ?

CGI said:
Oh okay. You're right that would definitely help. Okay then, for example, if it needed to get to Point B, could I say

30 = Vo^2sin^2theta/2g ?

You were right the first time! Ignore the first part of post #2 and put the 3 back in.

I wouldn't worry about the net and the court just yet. Find the maximum ##v_0## and then check the trajectory. If it turns out to be a foul serve, then too bad, you'll have to start again. But, you might hope that doesn't happen.

Okay, I get that V initial = 42.63, but that doesn't seem like a reasonable answer..I think

CGI said:
Okay, I get that V initial = 42.63, but that doesn't seem like a reasonable answer..I think

Why not? That'll be ft/s I take it?

After looking up some average volley ball serves, I guess it's actually not too far fetched. And yes, that's in ft/s

CGI said:
After looking up some average volley ball serves, I guess it's actually not too far fetched. And yes, that's in ft/s

If you want, you could work out whether the serve makes it over the net. I may have been too optimistic in my earlier post!

CGI said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 94805

Homework Equations

I know that this could be solved through kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could use the range equation to solve for Vo, but since there is an initial height, I don't think that could work. I thought that maybe I could use the height of a projectile equation

30 = 3 + (Vo^2sin^2(78)/(2g)) but the numbers don't work out for me.

I would really appreciate the help right now!

What is your numerical answer? Why do you think it is wrong?

As far as I can see your equation is correct, and as long as you are careful to use units consistently you ought to get the right answer.

Note added in edit: your post containing the numerical solution (in fact, all of posts # 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) appeared on my screen only after I pressed the 'enter' key; that type of thing happens to me a lot on this Forum. My answer agrees with yours.

Awesome! Thanks everyone! You really helped me understand this!

Related to Find the largest initial velocity

1. What is the "Find the largest initial velocity" problem?

The "Find the largest initial velocity" problem is a physics problem that involves finding the maximum initial velocity needed to launch an object at a certain angle to reach a specific distance.

2. How is the problem solved?

The problem is solved by using the equation for projectile motion, which takes into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravity. By setting the distance and angle, the initial velocity can be calculated using algebraic methods or trial and error.

3. What factors affect the largest initial velocity?

The largest initial velocity is affected by the angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force. A higher angle of launch and lower air resistance will result in a larger initial velocity, while a stronger gravitational force will require a higher initial velocity.

4. How is this problem useful in real life?

This problem is useful in real life for various applications such as designing rockets, launching projectiles, and calculating the speed needed for a vehicle to clear a certain distance. It is also used in sports such as long jump and discus throw to determine the best angle and initial velocity for maximum distance.

5. Are there any limitations to this problem?

Yes, there are limitations to this problem as it assumes ideal conditions such as a vacuum and a uniform gravitational force. In real life, air resistance and variations in gravitational force can affect the actual initial velocity needed to reach a specific distance.