Find the Length of a Pass of a Soccer Ball

In summary, the distance between the two points (18, 12) and (42, 50) is the length of the pass, which can be found using the distance formula for points. The setup for finding the length of the pass is correct, and the actual calculation can now be done.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Find length of pass.
Relevant Equations
Distance formula for points.
A soccer player passes the ball from a pointthat is 18 yards from the endline and 12 yards from the sideline. A teammate who is 42 yards from the same endline and 50 yards from the same sideline receives the pass. How long is the pass?

I am suppose to use the distance formula for points. I will set it but, before finding the length of the pass, I want to know if my set up is correct.

Let d = distance between two points on the xy-plane.

Our points in the form (x, y) are:

(18, 12), (42, 50)

See attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-102651_Drawing Pad.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-102651_Drawing Pad.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

nycmathguy said:
Homework Statement:: Find length of pass.
Relevant Equations:: Distance formula for points.

A soccer player passes the ball from a pointthat is 18 yards from the endline and 12 yards from the sideline. A teammate who is 42 yards from the same endline and 50 yards from the same sideline receives the pass. How long is the pass?

I am suppose to use the distance formula for points. I will set it but, before finding the length of the pass, I want to know if my set up is correct.

Let d = distance between two points on the xy-plane.

Our points in the form (x, y) are:

(18, 12), (42, 50)

See attachment.
Doc Al said:
Looks good to me.
Thanks. I will work out the math on paper.

Likes berkeman

What is the purpose of finding the length of a pass of a soccer ball?

The purpose of finding the length of a pass of a soccer ball is to measure the distance traveled by the ball during a specific play or game. This information can be used to analyze a player's performance, evaluate team strategies, and make improvements to overall gameplay.

What equipment is needed to measure the length of a pass?

To measure the length of a pass of a soccer ball, you will need a measuring tape or ruler, a flat surface such as a field or court, and a partner to assist in recording the measurements.

How do you measure the length of a pass of a soccer ball?

To measure the length of a pass, have one person stand at the starting point and another person at the ending point. The person at the starting point will kick the ball to the person at the ending point, who will then measure the distance from where the ball was kicked to where it was received.

What factors can affect the length of a pass?

The length of a pass can be affected by various factors such as the strength and technique of the player kicking the ball, the type of surface the ball is being kicked on, and any external factors such as wind or obstacles on the field.

How can measuring the length of a pass improve a player's performance?

Measuring the length of a pass can help a player identify areas for improvement in their kicking technique and power. By tracking their progress over time, a player can work on increasing the length of their passes and ultimately improve their overall performance on the field.