Finding coincident angle between 2 equally spaced sets

• Thread starter Telosian 7
  • Start date
Telosian 7
Hi Math people. Budding math wiz here (Aerospace Engineer / Coordinate measuring machine programmer) , need help with a formula.

I have 2 external gears on one shaft, the top gear has 12 equally spaced teeth and bottom has 14 equally spaced teeth. At some location there will be 2 gears visually/nominally in-line or at the same rotation angle around 360°. Assuming a part is loaded and a top tooth or angle value is randomly measured, (this value will be positive from 0-360°). Assume we then measure an arbitrary adjacent tooth on the gear set below the top one. I have these values, and can store these as variables. My program I am using for this purpose is fairly basic, has some algebra and trig, but barely an if/then statement. I need to map or calculate all other tooth positions (angle position) for each gear set, and ideally 'wrap' them to 360 (e.g. 395 = 35). From there I need to find the smallest angle difference between any one tooth on top and adjacent tooth on bottom. Keeping in mind a value of 7 on one gear and a value of 355 on the other is a circular distance or delta of only 12, and not 348.

The trouble is in my experiment (assuming 12T has a start value of 60 (2 pitches), and 14T has a start value of 51.428 (also approx 2 pitches), how could I calculate and find out that 12T gear # 11 and 14T #13 are the teeth 'in-line' or rotationally coincident around 360°? my functions available are : + - / *, MIN ,MAX ABS, < or > , ATAN, ASIN, COS, SIN, and I dont have if/then, else, for, while, loops or patterns, best I have is 'jump to step', I can only jump ahead but I have discovered a clever way of testing things with a boolean ... e.g. STEP1 : (A>B*1)+2 will go to step 2 if false but step 3 if true. Anyways I need less help with programming and more with a simplified formula. Thank you math Team - I have exhausted my options for days on ChatGPT. Obviously, I can compare gear 1 tooth 1 to all 14 teeth on gear 2, and so on for all 12 teeth on one gear for 168 comparisons, would take lots of manual coding I think there must be a way with angular pitch ratios etc. Cheers !

<Moderator note: moved from a technical forum>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If one gear has X teeth and the other Y teeth, Y>X, and we start at an aligned pair, stepping to the next tooth of each in the same direction discovers a separation of ##2\pi/X-2\pi/Y##.
Repeating N times, the separation grows to ##N(2\pi/X-2\pi/Y)##, though at some point this will exceed ##|2N\pi/X-2(N+1)\pi/Y|##.
If this brings us to the randomly chosen pair of near-adjacent teeth, with a separation of ##\theta##, then ##N=\frac{\theta}{(2\pi/X-2\pi/Y)}##.
You can obtain a similar expression for the other case. The challenge then, if I understand the task, is to find the lower of the two values for N.

1. How do you determine the coincident angle between two equally spaced sets?

To find the coincident angle between two equally spaced sets, you need to first calculate the angle between each pair of adjacent points in each set. Then, you can compare these angles to identify any coincident angles.

2. Can you explain the concept of equally spaced sets in this context?

In this context, equally spaced sets refer to two sets of points where the distance between each pair of adjacent points is the same within each set. This uniform spacing allows for easier comparison of angles between points.

3. Why is finding coincident angles between two equally spaced sets important?

Finding coincident angles between two equally spaced sets can provide valuable insights into the geometric relationships between the sets. It can help identify patterns, symmetries, or alignments that may not be immediately apparent from just looking at the sets of points.

4. What tools or methods can be used to calculate the coincident angle between two equally spaced sets?

There are various mathematical and computational methods that can be used to calculate the coincident angle between two equally spaced sets. These may include trigonometric functions, geometric algorithms, or specialized software programs designed for this specific task.

5. Are there any practical applications for determining coincident angles between two equally spaced sets?

Yes, there are several practical applications for determining coincident angles between two equally spaced sets. For example, in fields such as computer graphics, image processing, or structural engineering, this information can be used to align objects, analyze patterns, or optimize designs based on geometric relationships.