Find the magnitude of the momentum change of the ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D momentum problem with an elastic collision. The vector diagrams show that the momentum does not change in the y direction, but does change in the x direction. The magnitude of the momentum change can be calculated using the equation Delta p = -2mvcos theta. The conversation ends with a question about whether the calculation was done correctly.
paulimerci
Homework Statement
A tennis ball of mass m rebounds from a racquet with the same speed v as it had
initially as shown. The magnitude of the momentum change of the ball is
(A) 0 (B) 2mv (C) 2mv sin theta (D) 2mv cos theta
Relevant Equations
Conservation of momentum
I understand that it is a 2D momentum problem with an elastic collision;
Looking at the vector diagrams below, I notice that the velocity vectors initial and final in the y direction are in the same direction, indicating that momentum does not change, whereas the velocity vectors initial and final in the x direction are opposite each other, indicating that momentum does change.
Therfore,
$$ \Delta p = p_f - p_i$$
$$ = -mvcos\theta -mvcos\theta$$
$$ \Delta p = -2mvcos\theta$$

Have I done it right?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 9.27.16 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 9.27.16 AM.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 9.27.05 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 9.27.05 AM.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
paulimerci said:
Homework Statement:: A tennis ball of mass m rebounds from a racquet with the same speed v as it had
initially as shown. The magnitude of the momentum change of the ball is
(A) 0 (B) 2mv (C) 2mv sin theta (D) 2mv cos theta
Relevant Equations:: Conservation of momentum

I understand that it is a 2D momentum problem with an elastic collision;
Looking at the vector diagrams below, I notice that the velocity vectors initial and final in the y direction are in the same direction, indicating that momentum does not change, whereas the velocity vectors initial and final in the x direction are opposite each other, indicating that momentum does change.
Therfore,
$$ \Delta p = p_f - p_i$$
$$ = -mvcos\theta -mvcos\theta$$
$$ \Delta p = -2mvcos\theta$$

Have I done it right?
Looks good.

TSny said:
Looks good.
Thank you!

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of the momentum change of a ball?

To calculate the magnitude of the momentum change of a ball, you need to know the initial momentum of the ball (mass x initial velocity) and the final momentum of the ball (mass x final velocity). The magnitude of the momentum change is then the difference between the two values.

2. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of the momentum change of a ball?

The formula for finding the magnitude of the momentum change of a ball is: magnitude of momentum change = final momentum - initial momentum. This can also be written as: Δp = pf - pi, where Δp is the change in momentum, pf is the final momentum, and pi is the initial momentum.

3. What units are used to measure momentum change?

Momentum change is typically measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s) in the SI system. However, it can also be measured in other units such as gram-centimeters per second (g·cm/s) or pound-feet per second (lb·ft/s).

4. How does the mass and velocity of the ball affect the magnitude of the momentum change?

The mass and velocity of the ball both play a role in determining the magnitude of the momentum change. A heavier ball or a ball with a higher velocity will have a greater magnitude of momentum change compared to a lighter ball or a ball with a lower velocity.

5. Can the magnitude of the momentum change of a ball be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the momentum change of a ball can be negative. This would occur if the final momentum is less than the initial momentum, resulting in a negative value for the change in momentum. This could happen, for example, if the ball experiences a decrease in velocity due to friction or air resistance.