Find the molecules by interpreting the H NMR spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation is about finding the molecules for 3 compounds with the same formula using H NMR spectroscopy. The person has tried multiple structures but is struggling to determine the connectivity. They mention integrations and degrees of unsaturation, and eventually figure out the structures with the help of someone else.
STLCards002

Homework Statement

I have a 3 compounds with the same formula: C6H12O2
I need to find the molecules by interpreting the H NMR spectroscopy

http://aceorganic.pearsoncmg.com/epoch-plugin/tempfiles/1867_430.jpg
http://aceorganic.pearsoncmg.com/epoch-plugin/tempfiles/1869_524.jpg
http://aceorganic.pearsoncmg.com/epoch-plugin/tempfiles/1871_526.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've tried so many structures that it would be pointless to name them off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't start with structures - start with the spectrum. What does integration tell you about number of hydrogens? What does formula tell about saturation?

Well I know (atleast I think) the integrations;
1st graph: 2:3:2:2:3; One degree of unsaturation
2nd graph: 1:3:2:3:3; One degree of unsaturation
3rd graph: 1:3; One degree of unsaturation

But then I can't put everything together. I spend atleast an hour one each of these but can't figure out there connectivity.

3rd seems to be the simplest. 1:3 - you have two types of protons. How many of each type?

Each spike counts as 3 Hydrogens...so a CH3 and then 4 CH3?

I figured them out. Thanks for the help.

Related to Find the molecules by interpreting the H NMR spectroscopy

What is H NMR Spectroscopy?

H NMR (Hydrogen Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) Spectroscopy is a technique used to identify and analyze the chemical structure of organic compounds. It measures the absorption of energy at different frequencies by the hydrogen atoms in a molecule, providing information about the number and types of hydrogen atoms present as well as their chemical environments.

What is the purpose of interpreting H NMR Spectroscopy?

The purpose of interpreting H NMR Spectroscopy is to determine the chemical structure of a molecule by analyzing its unique peak patterns and chemical shifts. This can help identify functional groups, connectivity, and other important structural features of a compound.

How do you interpret H NMR Spectroscopy?

H NMR Spectroscopy is interpreted by analyzing the peak patterns and chemical shifts on the spectrum. The number of peaks indicates the number of unique hydrogen environments, while the chemical shifts provide information about the electron density and chemical environments of each hydrogen atom. By comparing these results to known chemical shifts and structures, the molecule can be identified and its structure can be determined.

What information can be obtained from H NMR Spectroscopy?

H NMR Spectroscopy can provide information about the number and types of hydrogen atoms present in a molecule, their chemical environments, and the connectivity of the molecule. It can also give insight into the presence of functional groups, stereochemistry, and other structural features of a compound.

What are some common challenges in interpreting H NMR Spectroscopy?

Some common challenges in interpreting H NMR Spectroscopy include overlapping peaks, solvent effects, and impurities. Additionally, if the molecule is complex or has multiple chiral centers, the peak patterns can be difficult to interpret. It is important to have a good understanding of the principles of H NMR Spectroscopy and to carefully analyze the spectrum to overcome these challenges.