Find the number of triangles given n lines

In summary, we can use the combination formula nCr (n choose r) to determine how many triangles are formed by a given number of non-parallel lines. For #1, the formula would be nC3 since we are choosing three lines from n lines. For #2, we would need to consider the number of parallel lines, m, and the remaining non-parallel lines, n-m. The formula would be (n-m)C3 + 2m, where (n-m)C3 represents the number of triangles formed by the non-parallel lines and 2m represents the number of triangles formed by pairing each parallel line with two non-parallel lines.
nano Math

Homework Statement

1. Given n non-parallel lines such that no three intersect in a point, determine how many triangles are formed?

2. Given n lines in total, of which m are parallel, how many triangles are formed?

Homework Equations

Combination nCr (n choose r)

The Attempt at a Solution

for #1, its nC3, since the question is more like how many ways can we choose three lines from n lines.

for #2, i am not sure.
I assume since each parallel line adds a triangle, it would be m*(nC3). we would have m more triangles. I am not sure if this is correct, could anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
In #2? Which triples of lines will form a triangle? Not just any triple, right?

i am assuming it might be of form
2qicxs4.png

but i see m*(nC3) doesn't work here. here there are 4 triangles. can anyone please provide insight

Your picture shows four parallel lines and you mention parallel lines but the condition in the statement of the problem is that none of the lines are parallel.

the picture is related to question #2, which states of n lines, there are m parallel lines.
assuming n is composed of (n-m) non parallel lines and m parallel lines

its nC3-mC3

nano Math said:
its nC3-mC3
No, that counts all triples from the n, then removes those where all three were in the m. But if any two are in m it won't form a triangle.

Perhaps you might want to consider triangles formed from two special sets of lines.

LOL CSCA67 i don't get it either, i put m(h+1 chose 3) where h are line and m-n >= 3 just get something :P

lol i found the answer it like

n-m are non parallel lines n-m chose 3 that's how many triangle will be formed by non parallel lines
and for each parallel line u need 2 non parallel lines to form a triangle u do that for all the parallel lines

Related to Find the number of triangles given n lines

What is the formula for finding the number of triangles given n lines?

The formula for finding the number of triangles given n lines is (n-2)(n-1)(n/2). This formula takes into account the number of possible combinations of 3 lines that can form a triangle.

Can this formula be applied to any number of lines, or are there limitations?

This formula can only be applied to a specific number of lines, which is determined by the value of n. It cannot be used for any number of lines.

Does the order of the lines matter when using this formula?

No, the order of the lines does not matter when using this formula. As long as the total number of lines (represented by n) is the same, the result will be the same.

What happens if there are less than 3 lines given?

If there are less than 3 lines given, it is not possible to form a triangle. In this case, the formula cannot be applied and the result would be 0.

Can this formula be used to find the number of triangles in a 3-dimensional shape?

No, this formula can only be used for 2-dimensional shapes. It does not take into account the additional lines and angles in a 3-dimensional shape.