Solving this problem that involves the area of triangle

It looks like you're trying to use the cross product formula for the area of a triangle, but that formula only applies to a triangle with vertices at the origin and the two points specified by the two vectors. The triangle in question has vertices at the origin, A, and B, which are specified by the vectors (-1, 1, 0) and (1/λ, 1/λ^2, 0). As I mentioned earlier, the problem can be solved without using vectors, cross products, or any fancy trig. The only thing you need to know is the formula for the area of a trapezoid and the Pythagorean theorem.
1652008494436.png

Area of Triangle ABC:
$$=a_j(a_i-b_i)-\frac{1}{2} [a_ia_j-b_ib_j +(a_j-b_j)(a_i-b_i)]$$ $$ =a_ja_i-a_jb_i -\frac{1}{2}[a_ia_j-b_ib_j+a_ja_i-a_jb_i-b_ja_i+b_jb_i]$$ $$=\frac{1}{2}(b_ja_i-b_ia_j)$$ Or: $$=\frac{1}{2}|a||b| \sin(\theta_{B}-\theta_{A})\\=\frac{1}{2}|a||b| (\sin\theta_{B}\cos\theta_{A}-\cos\theta_{B}\sin\theta_{A})$$ $$=\frac{1}{2}|a||b|\left( \frac{b_{j} a_{i} }{|b||a|} - \frac{b_{i} a_{j} }{|b||a|}\right)$$ $$=\frac{1}{2}(b_{j}a_{i}-b_{i}a{j}) $$ All roads lead to Rome!

• Informative
Likes chwala
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
Calculate the area of the trapezoid and then subtract the areas of the two triangular pieces.
Why don't you teach her about vectors and then ask her which is simpler? When one of the three points is the origin, cross-product is the clear winner.

Likes neilparker62
SammyS said:
Mark, is this you?
:headbang:
Sorry, I missed this one from you, Sammy. Yes, that's me all right.

Prof B said:
Why don't you teach her about vectors and then ask her which is simpler?
Are you referring to my 9-year-old grand niece? I'm confident that vectors would go right over her head.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes SammyS and chwala
Mark44 said:
:radioactive::radioactive:Sorry, I missed this one from you, Sammy. Yes, that's me all right.
Nice humour @Mark44 :biggrin:

Likes SammyS
Prof B said:
Why don't you teach her about vectors and then ask her which is simpler? When one of the three points is the origin, cross-product is the clear winner.
All roads lead to Rome and in this case Rome is indeed (half of) the vector cross product.

• Skeptical
Likes Mark44