Find the order of magnitude of the electrostatic force

In summary, the problem involves finding the order of magnitude of the electrostatic force of attraction between two engineering students, John and Mary, who have a mass of 90 kg and 45 kg respectively and are 30 m apart. They each have a 0.01% imbalance in their positive and negative charge, with one being positive and the other negative. By replacing each student with a sphere of water with the same mass, the number of protons and positive charge associated with them can be calculated, and when plugged into the electrostatic force equation, the answer is 1.16 x 10^18 N. However, there may be a discrepancy in the calculation, as the professor's answer key multiplies by 18 instead
mm2424

Homework Statement

Two engineering students, John with a mass of 90 kg and Mary with a mass of 45 kg, are 30 m apart. Suppose each has a 0.01% imbalance in the amount of positive and negative charge, with one student being positive and the other negative. Find the order of magnitude of the electrostatic force of attraction between them by replacing each student with a sphere of water having the same mass as the student.

Homework Equations

F = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem by finding the total number of protons and positive charge associated with them in John:

90000 g / 18 g/mol = 5000 mol x Avogadro's number = 3.01 x 10^27 molecules
then I multiplied by 10 protons/molecule to get 3 x 10^28 protons.
I multiplied this by the charge of a proton and got 4.82 x 10^9 C.
I multiplied by 0.0001 and got 482202 C of positive charge.

I did the same for Mary and got 240000 C of negative charge.

When plugged into the electrostatic force equation, I got 1.16 x 10^18 N.

However, in my professor's answer key, after he finds the number of water molecules, he multiplies by 18 and not 10. It seems like a mistake to me, but am I missing something? Should I multiple by 10 or 18 in this step?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mm2424 said:

Homework Statement

Two engineering students, John with a mass of 90 kg and Mary with a mass of 45 kg, are 30 m apart. Suppose each has a 0.01% imbalance in the amount of positive and negative charge, with one student being positive and the other negative. Find the order of magnitude of the electrostatic force of attraction between them by replacing each student with a sphere of water having the same mass as the student.

Homework Equations

F = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem by finding the total number of protons and positive charge associated with them in John:

90000 g / 18 g/mol = 5000 mol x Avogadro's number = 3.01 x 10^27 molecules
then I multiplied by 10 protons/molecule to get 3 x 10^28 protons.
I multiplied this by the charge of a proton and got 4.82 x 10^9 C.
I multiplied by 0.0001 and got 482202 C of positive charge.

I did the same for Mary and got 240000 C of negative charge.

When plugged into the electrostatic force equation, I got 1.16 x 10^18 N.

However, in my professor's answer key, after he finds the number of water molecules, he multiplies by 18 and not 10. It seems like a mistake to me, but am I missing something? Should I multiple by 10 or 18 in this step?

Thanks!

I like your 10.

Perhaps your professor was thinking of an oxygen molecule plus a water molecule, rather than a water molecule??

Related to Find the order of magnitude of the electrostatic force

1. What is the definition of "order of magnitude" in relation to electrostatic force?

The order of magnitude refers to the approximate size or scale of a quantity, typically measured in powers of 10. In the case of electrostatic force, it is used to describe the relative strength of the force between two charged particles.

2. How is the order of magnitude of electrostatic force calculated?

The order of magnitude can be calculated by taking the logarithm of the electrostatic force and rounding it to the nearest integer. For example, if the force is 10^5 N, the order of magnitude would be 5.

3. What factors affect the order of magnitude of electrostatic force?

The order of magnitude of electrostatic force is affected by the distance between the two charged particles, the magnitude of their charges, and the permittivity of the medium between them. The force increases as the distance decreases, the charges increase, or the permittivity increases.

4. How does the order of magnitude of electrostatic force compare to other fundamental forces?

The electrostatic force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and gravity. However, the electrostatic force is much stronger than gravity and the weak nuclear force, but weaker than the strong nuclear force.

5. Why is it important to know the order of magnitude of electrostatic force?

Understanding the order of magnitude of electrostatic force is crucial in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows scientists to predict and analyze the behavior of charged particles and their interactions, which is essential in the development of technologies such as electronics and semiconductors.