Find the resultant in unit-vector notation

In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant of three displacement vectors in unit-vector notation. The magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement are also requested. To solve this problem, the vectors are decomposed into x and y components, and then added together. The result is then normalized to obtain a unit vector. The magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement are calculated using trigonometric functions. The final answer is 24.75 i hat + 46.75 j hat for the resultant in unit-vector notation, and 52.9 units and 62.10 degrees (from the +x axis) for the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement, respectively.
chanv1

Homework Statement

Three displacement vectors of a croquet ball are shown in the figure, where |a vector| = 22.0 units, |b vector| = 25.0 units, and |c vector| = 10.0 units.

(a) find the resultant in unit-vector notation

____ i hat + ____ j hat

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement.
____ units
____ ° (from the +x axis)

Homework Equations

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1280/physicsqj6.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stumped. Can someone please teach me how to start this problem? Thank you.

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 2,311
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is very similar to the last problem I helped you with. Decompose each vector to x and y components. Add 'em all up.
A unit vector has magnitude 1 so you will need to "normalize" your result. That is divide each component by the magnitude of the resultant vector.

how do I get the resultant in unit-vector notation?

can someone please check if my work and answer is correct?

|a vector| = 22* cos 90 = 0 ; 22* sin 90 = 22
|b vector| = 25*cos 45 = 17.68 ; 25*sin 45 = 17.68
|c vector| = 10*cos -45 = 7.07 ; 10*sin -45 = -7.07

Fx = 24.75 Fy = 32.61

24.75^2 + 32.61^2 = c^2
c = 40.94

tan^-1 (32.61/24.75) = 52.80 degrees

(a) 24.75 i hat + 46.75 j hat
(b) 52.9 units; 62.10 degrees

Last edited:

Related to Find the resultant in unit-vector notation

1. What is the definition of "resultant" in unit-vector notation?

The resultant in unit-vector notation refers to the sum of multiple vectors expressed using unit vectors. It represents the overall effect or magnitude of the combined vectors.

2. How do you find the resultant in unit-vector notation?

To find the resultant in unit-vector notation, you need to first express each vector in terms of its components using unit vectors. Then, add the components of all the vectors together to get the final resultant vector.

3. What is the significance of using unit vectors in finding the resultant?

Unit vectors provide a standard way to express vectors and their components. Using unit vectors allows for easier calculations and comparisons between different vectors and their resultant.

4. Can the resultant in unit-vector notation be negative?

Yes, the resultant in unit-vector notation can be negative. This indicates that the resultant vector is in the opposite direction of the positive unit vector being used.

5. How is the direction of the resultant in unit-vector notation determined?

The direction of the resultant in unit-vector notation is determined by the direction of the unit vector being used. This is typically indicated by the positive sign in front of the unit vector.