Find the RMS current drawn from the 240 Vrms supply

In summary, the first idea was to find the total impedance of the circuit, but the second idea is to use Kirchhoff's law and get the equation for the complex impedance. However, the answer is supposed to be 126 A with a phase difference of 6.4 degree.
youmei0426
Homework Statement
For the circuit below find:
the rms current drawn from the 240 V rms supply if the frequency is 50 Hz, and the phase of the current relative to the applied voltage.
Relevant Equations
Z(R) = R
Z(C) = -i/(wC)
Z(L) = iwL
where Z is complex impedance, R is resistance, w is angular frequency, L is inductance and C is capacitance
My first idea was to find the total impedance of the circuit, but I think viewing the two parallel resistors as one resistor of 0.5 Ohm isn't the correct way? I don't know how to simply this series / parallel circuit further to find Z total.

Then I tried to use Kirchhoff's law to the loop on the left, and got the equation 240 - I1R - (I1-I2)R = 0. Since R = `1, the equation was simplified into
I2 - 2I1 + 240 = 0.

Doing the same thing for the loop on the right, and getting the voltages by using IZ, I had the equation
-I2*(-i/(wC)) - I2*iwL - I2 + (I1 - I2)=0

Making the real part of the above equation to zero and solving for the two equations, I got I1 = 160A and I2 = 80A. However, the answer is supposed to be 126 A with a phase difference of 6.4 degree.

Am I approaching the question in the wrong way?? Thanks in advance for your help!
IMG_5921.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
youmei0426 said:
I don't know how to simply this series / parallel circuit further to find Z total.
You don't. You have the left ##1 \ \Omega## in series with a parallel circuit consisting of
##1\ \Omega## in the left branch and
## \displaystyle {1\over j \omega C} + j\omega L + 1 \ \Omega## in the right branch.

You need an equation for the complex impedance of this parallel circuit. Simple.

youmei0426 said:
My first idea was to find the total impedance of the circuit
That is indeed what is required

I agree with the first idea (just not the 0.5 Ohms). Equation for a parallel circuit is a good approach, but KCL or KVL should have worked too.

Something in your equations for the right loop doesn't look right to me because you are describing voltages... first terms are voltages, but the last ones are currents. I'm not sure if it's a problem from transcribing or if this is what you put into the calculator (I'm not even sure if it truly is wrong or right I'm just saying my gut feeling is telling me something doesn't look right for the reason of adding currents with voltages). This is the equation that doesn't look right to me (from original post): -I2*(-i/(wC)) - I2*iwL - I2 + (I1 - I2)=0

BvU said:
You don't. You have the left ##1 \ \Omega## in series with a parallel circuit consisting of
##1\ \Omega## in the left branch and
## \displaystyle {1\over j \omega C} + j\omega L + 1 \ \Omega## in the right branch.

You need an equation for the complex impedance of this parallel circuit. Simple.

That is indeed what is required

Ah okay, I will just have to work through the very long equations to find the phase and real part then. Thanks!

Joshy said:
I agree with the first idea (just not the 0.5 Ohms). Equation for a parallel circuit is a good approach, but KCL or KVL should have worked too.

Something in your equations for the right loop doesn't look right to me because you are describing voltages... first terms are voltages, but the last ones are currents. I'm not sure if it's a problem from transcribing or if this is what you put into the calculator (I'm not even sure if it truly is wrong or right I'm just saying my gut feeling is telling me something doesn't look right for the reason of adding currents with voltages). This is the equation that doesn't look right to me (from original post): -I2*(-i/(wC)) - I2*iwL - I2 + (I1 - I2)=0

Ah since the impedance is equal to the resistance which is 1 Ohm in both cases, I wrote just I2 and (I1-I2) instead of I2*R and (I1-I2)*R. Sorry should have made that clearer!

No need to be sorry. I should have noticed it was 1 Ohm :) Thanks!

Likes youmei0426

1. What is the meaning of RMS current?

RMS (Root Mean Square) current is the measure of the average current value in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It takes into account both the amplitude and the frequency of the current.

2. How is RMS current calculated?

RMS current is calculated by taking the square root of the mean (average) of the squared values of the current over a specified time period. This is represented by the equation: Irms = √(1/T * ∫(I^2(t)dt) where T is the time period and I(t) is the instantaneous current at time t.

3. Why is it important to find the RMS current?

RMS current is important because it represents the actual power consumed by a circuit. It is also used to determine the maximum power that can be safely handled by a circuit, as well as the appropriate size and rating of components such as wires, fuses, and circuit breakers.

4. What is the difference between RMS current and peak current?

RMS current is the average value of the current, while peak current is the maximum value of the current. In an AC circuit, the peak current is always higher than the RMS current.

5. How can the RMS current drawn from a 240 Vrms supply be measured?

The RMS current can be measured using a multimeter or an ammeter. The ammeter must be connected in series with the circuit, and the reading should be taken over a specified time period to get an accurate RMS value.