Find the Slope of the Secant Line PQ for x-values .5 to 1.001

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the slope of the secant line PQ for the point P(1,51) and Q(x,46x^2+5) for various values of x. The speaker shares their calculations and mentions a possible error in their calculations. They also clarify the concept of a secant line and question the use of (13-y)/(1-x) for this problem.
Destrio
The point P(1,51) lies on the curve y=46 x2+5.

(a) If Q is the point (x,46 x2+5), use your calculator to find the slope of the secant line PQ (correct to six decimal places) for the following values of x.

.5, .9, .99, .999, 1.5, 1.1, 1.01, 1.001

I plugged all of the values of x into point Q, getting values of
(.5, 16.5)
(.9, 42.26)
(.99, 50.0846)
(.999, 50.908046)
(1.5, 108.5)
(1.1, 60.66)
(1.01, 51.9246)
(1.001, 51.092046)

I then did (13- y)/(1-x) for each of the points getting:

Somewhere I have gone wrong
Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but what is the secant line?

Okay, I agree with your points. It may be worth looking at them in a different order:
.9, .99, .999, 1.001, 1.01, 1.1, 1.5 But that really doesn't matter in this problem.

Now, I'm wondering - for the slope of the secant line, you would probably be using the slope formula which is change in y over change in x. My question is, where on Earth did you get the point (1,13) to plug into that formula?? Did you get the (13-y)/(1-x) from another example? If so, in that example, (1,13) was a point specific to that particular example.

edit: You listed the point on the curve that eventually you're going to be wondering what the slope of the tangent is at that point. That point is (1,51), not (1,13)

edit edit: as I ran through your numbers, most actually appeared to be correct for the slope. Check those again.

I also looked at your problem another way - rather than actually plugging a y value into the slope equation, I plugged in "46x^2 + 5" for the y value (and left x as x) and simplified first. Just coincidentally, it simplified a lot, making the problem easier to calculate slopes.

Last edited:
Actually, only the first couple answers have mistakes; one might be a typo. The first slope you have: 690, is off by a factor of 10.

The "secant" is a line that crosses the curve in two differnt places. If a secant crosses the line in (.5, 16.5) and (.9, 42.26) then its slope is (42.26- 16.5)/(.9- .4) = 51.52. HOW exactly did you get 690?

And, by the way, you say you are using (13- y)/(1- x), but told us that P was the point (1, 51), not (1, 13)!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Find the Slope of the Secant Line PQ for x-values .5 to 1.001

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of a secant line?

The formula for finding the slope of a secant line is m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where x1 and x2 are the x-values of two points on the line and y1 and y2 are the corresponding y-values.

2. How is the slope of a secant line different from the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a secant line is an average rate of change between two points on a curve, whereas the slope of a tangent line is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point on the curve.

3. Why is it important to specify the x-values for the secant line when finding its slope?

The slope of a secant line can vary depending on the two points chosen on the curve. By specifying the x-values, we can accurately calculate the average rate of change between those two points.

4. Can the slope of a secant line ever be negative?

Yes, the slope of a secant line can be negative if the curve is decreasing between the two chosen points. A negative slope indicates a negative average rate of change, meaning the curve is decreasing over that interval.

5. How does finding the slope of a secant line help with understanding the behavior of a curve?

Finding the slope of a secant line at different points on a curve can help us understand the overall direction and steepness of the curve. It can also give us insights into the rate of change of the curve and how it is behaving between those two points.