chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
Trigonometry.
1694235993619.png

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{\dfrac{a}{a+1} + \dfrac{1}{2a+1}}{1-\dfrac{a}{a+1} ⋅\dfrac{1}{2a+1}}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]##

Let

##\left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]=0##

##⇒a=-1, a=-\dfrac{1}{2}##

checking my working and latex... a minute...

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: See attached.
Relevant Equations: Trigonometry.

View attachment 331693

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{\dfrac{a}{a+1} + \dfrac{1}{2a+1}}{1-\dfrac{a}{a+1} ⋅\dfrac{1}{2a+1}}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##checking my working and latex... a minute...
Check your algebra.

Likes chwala
In addition to the error that @SammyS points out in his quote of your work, there is also this:
chwala said:
Let ##\left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]=0##
What justification is there for arbitrarily setting the quantity on the left side to zero?

Likes SammyS
chwala said:

View attachment 331693

1694235993619-png.png

In my approach i have,

Rather than jumping to the above expression, it would be helpful to those reading your thread if you would start off with something like:

##\displaystyle \tan \alpha + \beta = \dfrac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta }{1- \tan \alpha \tan \beta} ##

##\displaystyle \quad \quad = \dfrac{\dfrac{a}{a+1} + \dfrac{1}{2a+1}}{1-\dfrac{a}{a+1} ⋅\dfrac{1}{2a+1}}##

You can simplify that expression quite a bit. Why not do that before applying the ##\displaystyle \arctan ## function?
I suggest multiplying the numerator and denominator by ##\displaystyle \ (a+1)(2a+1) \ ##, then simplify. In fact, you might not have to use the ##\displaystyle \arctan ## function at all.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala said:

View attachment 331693

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div\left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]##

Let

##\left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]=0##

##⇒a=-1, a=-\dfrac{1}{2}##

checking my working and latex... a minute...
##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]####α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{2a^2+3a+1}\right] × \left[\dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} (1) = \dfrac{π}{4}##

Again, you don't have to start each line with "##\alpha + \beta =##" when the goal is to simplify a complicated expression. Instead, you can use = to string together equal quantities.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

View attachment 331693

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##

[tex]
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} =
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} \cdot \frac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{(a+1)(2a+1)} =
\frac{a(2a+1) + (a+1)}{(2a+1)(a+1) - a} =
\frac{ 2a^2 + 2a + 1}{2a^2 + 2a + 1}
= 1.[/tex]

Likes chwala
pasmith said:
[tex]
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} =
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} \cdot \frac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{(a+1)(2a+1)} =
\frac{a(2a+1) + (a+1)}{(2a+1)(a+1) - a} =
\frac{ 2a^2 + 2a + 1}{2a^2 + 2a + 1}
= 1.[/tex]
@pasmith they wanted the smallest angle or you were showing something else...

chwala said:
@pasmith they wanted the smallest angle or you were showing something else...
The wording of the problem isn't clear, IMO. The smallest positive value for ##\alpha + \beta## is ##\frac \pi 4##. There are smaller negative values that satisfy the two given equations.

Mark44 said:
The wording of the problem isn't clear, IMO. The smallest positive value for ##\alpha + \beta## is ##\frac \pi 4##. There are smaller negative values that satisfy the two given equations.
I beg to disagree. Interpreting the problem as it is one can only deduce that the required smallest angle ##=45^0##.

chwala said:
I beg to disagree. Interpreting the problem as it is one can only deduce that the required smallest angle ##=45^0##.
The given equations are ##\tan(\alpha) = \frac a {a + 1}## and ##\tan(\beta) = \frac 1 {2a + 1}##. These lead to the equation ##\tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1 - \tan \alpha \tan \beta}##.

As you've seen, ##\alpha + \beta = \frac \pi 4## is a solution, but there are an infinite number of solutions to this equation above, one of which is ##-\frac{3\pi} 4##, which is smaller than ##\frac \pi 4##. There are many others that are even more negative; i.e., smaller. This is why I said that the problem statement isn't clear, and would have been improved by asking for the smallest positive value of ##\alpha + \beta##.

Of course, once you introduce the inverse tangent, whose principal domain is ##(\frac{-\pi}2, \frac \pi 2)##, then there is only one solution.

Mark44 said:
The given equations are ##\tan(\alpha) = \frac a {a + 1}## and ##\tan(\beta) = \frac 1 {2a + 1}##. These lead to the equation ##\tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1 - \tan \alpha \tan \beta}##.

As you've seen, ##\alpha + \beta = \frac \pi 4## is a solution, but there are an infinite number of solutions to this equation above, one of which is ##-\frac{3\pi} 4##, which is smaller than ##\frac \pi 4##. There are many others that are even more negative; i.e., smaller. This is why I said that the problem statement isn't clear, and would have been improved by asking for the smallest positive value of ##\alpha + \beta##.
I beg to AGREE with Mark on this point.

In general, when using Inverse trig functions to solve trig equations, we must exercise care.

The solution to an equation such as ##\displaystyle \ \tan(\theta) = u\ ## is ##\displaystyle \ \theta = \arctan(u) +k\pi \, ,\ ## where ##k## is an integer.

Of course, once you introduce the inverse tangent, whose principal domain is ##(\frac{-\pi}2, \frac \pi 2)##, then there is only one solution.
As a general method, the following is not particularly good at getting an overall solution in closed form, but it does use the principal domain of ##\displaystyle \arctan \, .##

Alternate approach:
If ##\displaystyle \tan(\alpha) = \dfrac a {a + 1} \, , \ ## then using ##\displaystyle \arctan \ ##

we have ##\displaystyle \alpha = \arctan(\tan(\alpha)) = \arctan \, \dfrac a {a + 1} \, . \ ##

Similarly, ##\displaystyle \beta = \arctan(\tan(\beta)) = \arctan \, \dfrac {1} {2a + 1} \, . \ ##

For ##\displaystyle -1 < a < \frac {-1} 2 \, ,## each of the above expressions gives a negative result for ##\alpha## and for ##\beta##.

Using any particular value for ##a## in this interval gives a value of ##\displaystyle \, \frac {-3\pi} 4 \, ## for ##\displaystyle \alpha + \beta =\arctan \, \dfrac a {a + 1} + \arctan \, \dfrac {1} {2a + 1} \, . ##

For example, try ##\displaystyle a=\frac{-3}{4} \ ## on a scientific calculator. .

Last edited:
Likes Mark44

1. What is the smallest value of angle α + β?

The smallest value of angle α + β is 0 degrees. This occurs when both α and β are equal to 0 degrees.

2. How do you find the smallest value of angle α + β?

To find the smallest value of angle α + β, you can use the following formula: α + β = 0. This means that both α and β must be equal to 0 degrees.

3. Can the smallest value of angle α + β be negative?

No, the smallest value of angle α + β cannot be negative. This is because angles are measured in degrees, and negative degrees do not exist.

4. Is there a way to find the smallest value of angle α + β without using a formula?

Yes, you can find the smallest value of angle α + β by visualizing it on a coordinate plane. The smallest value will be at the origin (0,0) where both α and β are equal to 0 degrees.

5. Can the smallest value of angle α + β be greater than 0?

No, the smallest value of angle α + β cannot be greater than 0. This is because the smallest value is defined as the lowest possible value, and 0 is the lowest possible value for angles.