Solve the given trigonometry problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the equation x^2 = (1+sinθ)^2/(cos^2θ) = (1+sinθ)^2/(1-sin^2θ) = (1+sinθ)/(1-sinθ). It is suggested that another approach to solving this problem could be to use the equation x(1/x) = 1 and compare it to the trigonometric identity sec^2θ - tan^2θ = 1. Another variation is proposed, using the equation x = secθ + tanθ and showing that x(secθ - tanθ) = sec^2θ - tan^2θ = 1. Finally, it is suggested that the
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
If ##x=\sec θ + \tan θ##, then show that ##\dfrac {1}{x}=\sec θ - \tan θ##
Relevant Equations
Trigonometry
My take;

##x^2=\dfrac{(1+\sin θ)^2}{cos^2θ}=\dfrac{(1+\sin θ)^2}{1-\sin ^2θ}=\dfrac{1+\sin θ}{1-\sin θ}##

we know that, ##x=\dfrac{1+\sin θ}{\cos θ}##

##⇒1+\sin θ=x\cos θ##

therefore,

##x^2=\dfrac{x\cos θ}{1-\sin θ}##

##\dfrac{x}{x^2}=\dfrac{1-\sin θ}{\cos θ}##

##\dfrac{1}{x}=\dfrac{1}{\cos θ}-\dfrac{\sin θ}{\cos θ}=\sec θ-\tan θ##

there may be another approach to this problem. Your input highly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
How about ##x{1\over x} = 1## and comparing that with ##\sec^2 \theta -\tan^2 \theta = 1 ## ?

##\ ##

Likes neilparker62 and Ibix
BvU said:
How about ##x{1\over x} = 1## and comparing that with ##\sec^2 \theta -\tan^2 \theta = 1 ## ?

##\ ##
That is fine, comparing may mean eliminating ##x## from the equation and end up showing that the lhs=rhs in reference to the trig. identities; but that is not what we want. We need ##x## to be part of the problem.

Last edited:
But it is ! If you need it spelled out:$$(\sec + \tan)(\sec-\tan) = x(\sec-tan)=1 \ \& \ x{1\over x}=1 \Rightarrow (\sec-\tan)={1\over x}\\ $$

Likes MatinSAR and chwala
Ok @BvU ....I will check. Thanks mate.

chwala said:
Ok @BvU ....I will check. Thanks mate.
Or ...
A variation, inspired by @BvU :

##\displaystyle x= \sec\theta + \tan\theta##

##\displaystyle x(\sec\theta - \tan\theta)= (\sec\theta + \tan\theta)(\sec\theta - \tan\theta) ##

##\displaystyle \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad =\sec^2\theta - \tan^2\theta ##

##\displaystyle \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad = 1##

Thus: ##\displaystyle \quad \sec\theta - \tan\theta = \dfrac 1 x ##

Likes chwala
Thanks answer :cool:
use for my ticher

Likes chwala
or $$ (\sec \theta + \tan \theta)(\sec \theta - \tan \theta) = \sec^2 \theta - \tan^2 \theta = 1 \implies \sec \theta - \tan \theta = \frac{1}{\sec \theta + \tan \theta} $$

Likes chwala and SammyS

What is the given trigonometry problem asking me to solve?

The given trigonometry problem is asking you to find the value of a specific trigonometric function, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, given an angle measurement or other related information.

What are the steps to solve a trigonometry problem?

The steps to solve a trigonometry problem vary depending on the specific problem, but generally involve identifying the given information, choosing an appropriate trigonometric function, setting up the equation, solving for the unknown variable, and checking your answer.

What are the common trigonometric identities used to solve problems?

Some common trigonometric identities used to solve problems include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

How can I check if my solution to a trigonometry problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the value you found for the unknown variable into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your answer.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry problems include using the wrong trigonometric function, forgetting to convert between degrees and radians, and making calculation errors. It is also important to carefully read and understand the given information before attempting to solve the problem.