Find the speed of the source (Doppler Effect)

In summary, a kid on a bike is ringing a bell with a frequency of 3000 Hz. As the bike moves towards and away from you, you hear a shift in the frequency of the bell. If there is a 30 Hz change in the frequencies that you hear as the bike approaches and then moves away from you, the speed of the bike can be calculated using the Doppler effect equations. After solving for the frequencies of the bell when the bike is moving towards and away from you, the speed of the bike is found to be 2.18 m/s.
mastermind1
A kid is riding a bike and is ringing bell of 3000 Hz. You are standing still on the sidewalk.When the bicycle moves toward you, you hear a shift in the frequency of the bell. In addition, when the bicycle moves away from you, you hear a different shift in the frequency of the bell. If there is a 30 Hz change in the frequencies that you hear for the bell as the bicycle approaches you and then moves away from you, what is the speed (in m/s) of the bicycle? (Write your answer to the nearest 0.01 m/s.)

1. Homework Statement

Frequency(source)(fs) = 3000 Hz
speed(observer)(vo) = 0 m/s
Frequency(towards)(ft)= 3030 Hz (NOT SURE)
Frequency(away)(fa) = 2970 Hz (NOT SURE)
speed of sound(v) = 343 m/s

Homework Equations

fo = ((v+vo)/(v-vs)) * fs Bike is moving TOWARDS me
fo = ((v-vo)/(v+vs)) * fs Bike is moving AWAY from me

The Attempt at a Solution

Towards
------------
3030Hz/3000Hz = (343 m/s) / (343 m/s - vs)
(1.01)(343 m/s - vs) = 343 m/s
345.20 m/s - 1.01 vs = 343 m/s
vs = 2.18 m/s

I do the same thing using the AWAY equation, and i get the same answer.
However, that answer is incorrect. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 30 Hz difference are between "towards you" and "away from you". They are not relative to the 3000 Hz.

mfb said:
The 30 Hz difference are between "towards you" and "away from you". They are not relative to the 3000 Hz.

Could you please elaborate on that. And, give me a hint.

If the bike approaches you, the frequency is x, a bit higher than 3000 Hz.
If the bike moves away from you, the frequency is y, a bit lower than 3000 Hz.
x - y = 30 Hz.
Find formulas for x and y and solve the equations, there is no trick involved.

mfb said:
If the bike moves away from you, the frequency is y, a bit lower than 3000 Hz.
x - y = 30 Hz.
Find formulas for x and y and solve the equations, there is no trick involved.

That's what I am doing. I added and subtracted 30Hz.

You used x - 3000 Hz = 30 Hz and 3000 Hz - y = 30 Hz, but that's not right. It would imply x-y = 60 Hz.

mfb said:
You used x - 3000 Hz = 30 Hz and 3000 Hz - y = 30 Hz, but that's not right. It would imply x-y = 60 Hz.

So you are saying that 30Hz is the total change in frequency I hear for towards and away. That means that I hear 15 Hz for towards and 15 Hz for away.
If so, then it is 3000-15=2985(away) and 3000+15=3015(towards). Then I just use the equation I used above to get the answer.

mastermind1 said:
So you are saying that 30Hz is the total change in frequency I hear for towards and away.
That's what the problem statement says.
mastermind1 said:
That means that I hear 15 Hz for towards and 15 Hz for away.
It is not, the doppler shift is not symmetric.

mfb said:
That's what the problem statement says.It is not, the doppler shift is not symmetric.

I don't think I get it yet. You will need to help me with equations.

All necessary equations are in the thread already, you just have to combine them.

mfb said:
All necessary equations are in the thread already, you just have to combine them.

You know what I am trying to tell you. If I had understood what you were trying to tell me, I would have done it by now.
I don't get it.

mastermind1 said:
You know what I am trying to tell you. If I had understood what you were trying to tell me, I would have done it by now.
I don't get it. It's just one question, and I am dedicated enough to waste hours on it. It's certainly not going to make any difference to my overall grade in class if I get it wrong. I am not good at physics, and that is why I am having trouble with this.

mastermind1 said:
You know what I am trying to tell you.
No I don't know. The problem got reduced from a problem about the Doppler effect to a topic your classes covered several years ago: plugging in equations and numbers into each other.

mfb said:
No I don't know. The problem got reduced from a problem about the Doppler effect to a topic your classes covered several years ago: plugging in equations and numbers into each other.

You have been telling me to do the same thing over and over, and I don't understand it. You are an expert. And, I appreciate your help.
But, if I am your student in this case, and I am not understanding it, then you should help me with a different approach. Please, help me in a different way.

There is only one reasonable approach, and I don't know how to explain it differently, sorry.

mfb said:
So would it be 3000-60?

Darious Warren said:
So would it be 3000-60?
Definitely not.

SammyS said:
Definitely not.
Wait! I have a question. When mfb said x-y=30, does he mean that the x and y values are the frequencies the observer hears?

Darious Warren said:
Wait! I have a question. When mfb said x-y=30, does he mean that the x and y values are the frequencies the observer hears?
Yes, he is using x and y for frequencies to make a statement about his understanding of the problems statement.

Well this is what @mfb wrote in Post #4.
If the bike moves away from you, the frequency is y, a bit lower than 3000 Hz.​

Okay. I got the idea of what the answer is! Thank you @SammyS

mastermind1 said:
A kid is riding a bike and is ringing bell of 3000 Hz. You are standing still on the sidewalk.When the bicycle moves toward you, you hear a shift in the frequency of the bell. In addition, when the bicycle moves away from you, you hear a different shift in the frequency of the bell. If there is a 30 Hz change in the frequencies that you hear for the bell as the bicycle approaches you and then moves away from you, what is the speed (in m/s) of the bicycle? (Write your answer to the nearest 0.01 m/s.)

1. Homework Statement

Frequency(source)(fs) = 3000 Hz
speed(observer)(vo) = 0 m/s
Frequency(towards)(ft)= 3030 Hz (NOT SURE)
Frequency(away)(fa) = 2970 Hz (NOT SURE)
speed of sound(v) = 343 m/s

Homework Equations

fo = ((v+vo)/(v-vs)) * fs Bike is moving TOWARDS me
fo = ((v-vo)/(v+vs)) * fs Bike is moving AWAY from me

The Attempt at a Solution

: Towards
3030Hz/3000Hz = (343 m/s) / (343 m/s - vs)
(1.01)(343 m/s - vs) = 343 m/s
345.20 m/s - 1.01 vs = 343 m/s
vs = 2.18 m/s

I do the same thing using the AWAY equation, and i get the same answer.
However, that answer is incorrect. I do not know what I am doing wrong.
You made some error in multiplying (1.01)(343) which is 346.43. This is a huge error b/c if hold off on that multiplication and do some manipulation, you get (1.01)(343) − 343 = (1.01)vs ..
Of course, that left hand side is just (0.01)(343) → 3.43

If you do the AWAY carefully and use 3000 − 30 → 2970 (Hz) , you get a slightly greater bicycle speed .

That confirms the interpretation of the problem given by @mfb .

Take the two frequency equations: towards and away and introduce a way to distinguish the observed TOWARD frequency from the observed AWAY frequency.

## \displaystyle f_{o\,T} = \frac{v+v_o}{v-v_s} \cdot f_s \ \ ## Bike is moving TOWARDS me

## \displaystyle f_{oA} = \frac{v-v_o}{v+v_s} \cdot f_s \ \ ## Bike is moving AWAY from me

Just subtract the second equation from the first, That should give the difference in the two frequencies as pointed out by @mfb . A little trickier Algebra but do-able.

The thread is from 2015, it is unlikely that OP is still active here.

mfb said:
The thread is from 2015, it is unlikely that OP is still active here.
LOL !

I suppose I saw it in the current list because of the post by @Darious Warren . I didn't pay attention to the date other than Sept.

Oh well, it kept me busy for a while.

1. How does the Doppler Effect affect the speed of a source?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is relative motion between a source of waves and an observer. This relative motion causes a change in the frequency and wavelength of the waves, which in turn affects the perceived speed of the source. When the source is moving towards the observer, the waves are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency and perceived speed. When the source is moving away from the observer, the waves are stretched, resulting in a lower frequency and perceived speed.

2. What factors determine the speed of the source in the Doppler Effect?

The speed of the source in the Doppler Effect is determined by two main factors: the speed of the source itself and the speed of the wave. The speed of the source is the velocity at which the source is moving towards or away from the observer. The speed of the wave is the velocity at which the wave is traveling through a medium, such as air or water. Both of these factors play a role in determining the perceived speed of the source in the Doppler Effect.

3. How is the speed of the source calculated using the Doppler Effect?

The speed of the source can be calculated using the following equation:
v = c (fo - fs) / fo
where v is the speed of the source, c is the speed of the wave, fo is the original frequency of the wave, and fs is the perceived frequency of the wave. By plugging in the known values, the equation can be solved for the speed of the source.

4. How does the speed of the source affect the frequency of the waves in the Doppler Effect?

The speed of the source directly affects the frequency of the waves in the Doppler Effect. As mentioned before, when the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency increases and when the source is moving away, the frequency decreases. This change in frequency is proportional to the speed of the source, meaning that the faster the source is moving, the greater the change in frequency.

5. What practical applications does the Doppler Effect have in everyday life?

The Doppler Effect has a wide range of practical applications in areas such as astronomy, meteorology, and traffic safety. In astronomy, it is used to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of storms and predict weather patterns. In traffic safety, it is used in radar speed guns and traffic cameras to measure the speed of moving vehicles. It also has applications in medical imaging and sound navigation and ranging (SONAR) technology.