Find the step on which the hockey puck will land

• Thread starter NotInMrPutmansClass
  • Start date
In summary, the given problem involves a frictionless puck being slid horizontally off the top of an infinite set of stairs with a speed of 3m/s. The steps are 20cm high and 20cm wide. Using equations for projectile motion, it is determined that the puck will land on the 10th step, traveling over 9 steps. The time it takes to reach this step is approximately 0.612244 seconds.
NotInMrPutmansClass
Homework Statement
Find the step
Relevant Equations
0.2 stands for 20 cm (0.2m)
The question goes like this.
A frictionless puck is slid horizontally off the top of an infinite set of stairs with a speed of 3m/s. The steps are standard size: 20cm high and 20 cm wide. Which step will the puck strike first?Since the pluck will not get faster on the x-axis, these are my givens:

20 cm = 0.2mX-Axis:
Velocity = 3m/s
Distance = (0.2)X
Time = Y

Y-Axis
Int. Velocity = 0 m/s
Final Velocity = Unknown
Acceleration = 9.8 m/s^2
Distance = (0.2)X
Time = Y

Isolate for X in both equations

d=vt
(0.2)X=3Y
X= 3Y/0.2d=Init.V*t + 1/2 at^2
(0.2)X= 4.9Y^2
X = 4.9Y^2/0.2

Sub one of the X into the other formula

3Y/0.2 =3Y+4.9Y^2/0.2

After Isolating for Y (Using the Quadratic Formula) We get:

0= 0.98Y^2-0.6

Y1=0
Y2=0.612244 Seconds

now we sub this as the Y value in one of the formulas:

X(0.20) = 3Y
X(0.20) = 3(0.612244)
X = 9.1
The pluck will land on the 9th step.

But, if the steps are 20 cm wide. That means that if it lands on the 9th step, that would be the edge (because of the .1), so would it be the 10th step?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not run the numbers, but if your calculation is correct and 9.1 is the answer, then yes, the puck will land on the 10th step. I will check the numbers and come back unless someone else does it first. If I were you, I would do the calculation symbolically and substitute at the very end. Here, roundoff errors matter if the final calculation is based on intermediate numerical calculations.

I checked and I got the same answer as you. You're good to go.

One more thing:
I know that you can choose any symbols you want but to avoid confusion, in projectile motion we have reserved symbols
t = clock time (not Y)
x = horizontal distance at time t
y = vertical distance at time t.

Please conform to these if you don't mind. Thanks.

NotInMrPutmansClass said:
the top of an infinite set of stairs
I would say that means it starts on the first step. If it were to start with a very small nonzero velocity it would land on the second step, etc. But my friend disagrees.

If we take ##y## increasing downwards, then we just need to look for the point where the trajectory crosses the line ##y = x##:$$y = \frac 1 2 gt^2, \ x = vt$$$$y = x \Rightarrow \frac 1 2 gt = v$$$$\Rightarrow t = \frac{2v}{g}$$$$ \Rightarrow x = \frac{2v^2}{g}$$

haruspex said:
I would say that means it starts on the first step. If it were to start with a very small nonzero velocity it would land on the second step, etc. But my friend disagrees.
At the top of the steps is the "landing", not the first step!

Your answer 9.1 is (approximately) correct. It means it will fly over 9 steps and land on the 10th.

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a hockey puck?

The trajectory of a hockey puck can be calculated using the laws of physics, specifically the principles of projectile motion. This involves taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance to determine the path the puck will follow.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a hockey puck?

The trajectory of a hockey puck can be affected by factors such as the initial force applied to the puck, the angle at which it is launched, the surface it is traveling on, and air resistance. These factors can impact the speed, direction, and distance the puck will travel.

3. Can the trajectory of a hockey puck be predicted accurately?

While the trajectory of a hockey puck can be calculated using mathematical formulas, there are still variables that can affect its path. These include factors such as ice conditions and the movement of other players on the ice. Therefore, it is difficult to predict the exact trajectory of a hockey puck with complete accuracy.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a hockey puck?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact the trajectory of a hockey puck by slowing it down and altering its path. This is because as the puck moves through the air, it collides with air molecules, which creates a force in the opposite direction of its motion. The amount of air resistance depends on factors such as the size and shape of the puck, as well as the speed at which it is traveling.

5. Is there a way to control the trajectory of a hockey puck?

While the trajectory of a hockey puck can be influenced by initial force and angle of launch, it is difficult to fully control its path once it is in motion. However, skilled players can use techniques such as angling their stick and applying spin to the puck to manipulate its trajectory and make it more difficult for opponents to intercept.