Find the tensions acting in different ropes that conect three bodies

In summary: If the applied force exceeds the combined max static friction of the three blocks, yes - but it doesn't.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Three bodies are conected by ideal ropes. The mass of the smallest body is ##10 kg##. The coefficient of static friction between the bodies and the surface is ##0.3## and they are pulled to the right by a ##60 N## force. Determine the tension acting on each rope.
Relevant Equations
Newton's equations
I called the smallest body ##1## and the biggest ##3##. All of them are disturbed by horizontal forces. So the free body diagrams are
For ##1##
##-T_1 -Fr_1 +F=10a##

For ##2##
##T_1 -T_2 -Fr_2=20a##

For ##3##
##T_2 -Fr_3=30a##

Then, if I consider ##a=0## and I solve for ##1## I get ##T_1=30 N##, and then if I plug that value in ##2## I get ##T_2=-30 N##. But why the signs of both tensions are different?
And then if I tried to find ##T_2## in ##3## I get ##T_2=90##, and clearly that's different from the value calculated in ##2##.

Attachments

• 20190927_234255.jpg
    20190927_234255.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Homework Statement: Three bodies are conected by ideal ropes. The mass of the smallest body is ##10 kg##. The coefficient of static friction between the bodies and the surface is ##0.3## and they are pulled to the right by a ##60 N## force. Determine the tension acting on each rope.
Homework Equations: Newton's equations

I called the smallest body ##1## and the biggest ##3##. All of them are disturbed by horizontal forces. So the free body diagrams are
For ##1##
##-T_1 -Fr_1 +F=10a##

For ##2##
##T_1 -T_2 -Fr_2=20a##

For ##3##
##T_2 -Fr_3=30a##

Then, if I consider ##a=0## and I solve for ##1## I get ##T_1=30 N##, and then if I plug that value in ##2## I get ##T_2=-30 N##. But why the signs of both tensions are different?
And then if I tried to find ##T_2## in ##3## I get ##T_2=90##, and clearly that's different from the value calculated in ##2##.
At some point you must have plugged in values for the frictional forces. What is the "relevant equation " for static friction?
(Btw, I will demonstrate that the question is invalid, but leave that for now.)

haruspex said:
At some point you must have plugged in values for the frictional forces. What is the "relevant equation " for static friction?
(Btw, I will demonstrate that the question is invalid, but leave that for now.)
The "relevant equation" for static friction is ##Fr_{s}=\mu_{s} . N##
What do you mean with "you must have plugged in values for the frictional forces"? I mean, I have to plug them because the friction is acting on the blocks

Like Tony Stark said:
The "relevant equation" for static friction is ##Fr_{s}=\mu_{s} . N##
That equation is wrong in a subtle but crucial way.
E.g., consider a block resting on a horizontal rough floor with no lateral forces exerted on it. What would be the frictional force?

haruspex said:
That equation is wrong in a subtle but crucial way.
E.g., consider a block resting on a horizontal rough floor with no lateral forces exerted on it. What would be the frictional force?
Obviously, the static coefficient only applies a few moments before starting to move. But in this case we are assuming that the body is about to move, aren't we?

Like Tony Stark said:
Obviously, the static coefficient only applies a few moments before starting to move. But in this case we are assuming that the body is about to move, aren't we?
Ok, so now take my resting box and apply a horizontal force, but only half that needed to make it move. How great is the frictional force now?

haruspex said:
Ok, so now take my resting box and apply a horizontal force, but only half that needed to make it move. How great is the frictional force now?
It has the same magnitud that the force that you are applying

Like Tony Stark said:
It has the same magnitud that the force that you are applying
Right, so what is the correct form of the static friction equation?

haruspex said:
Right, so what is the correct form of the static friction equation?
The static friction has the same magnitude that the force applied to the body unless the force is greater than the maximum static friction

Like Tony Stark said:
The static friction has the same magnitude that the force applied to the body unless the force is greater than the maximum static friction
And as an equation, ##F_s\leq\mu_sN##. Do try to remember that form.

So how does this alter your solution?

haruspex said:
And as an equation, ##F_s\leq\mu_sN##. Do try to remember that form.

So how does this alter your solution?
Ok, I think I've noticed my mistake...
I have to calculate if the force applied to the blocks is bigger than the maximum static friction. If so, I have to plug the values for ##N.\mu_s## in Newton's equations. If not, the friction will compensate the force and they'll add up to zero. Right?

By the way, if the force is bigger, shouldn't I have to plug dynamic friction? Because it will be moving. But I'm not given the coefficient of dynamic friction.

Like Tony Stark said:
If not, the friction will compensate the force and they'll add up to zero.
Yes.
Like Tony Stark said:
if the force is bigger, shouldn't I have to plug dynamic friction?
If the applied force exceeds the combined max static friction of the three blocks, yes - but it doesn't.
I think the question intends that you consider each block in turn, as you did. If the small block's friction is enough you can stop there; otherwise consider the next block ...

Likes Like Tony Stark

1. What is the concept of tension in a rope?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. It is a pulling force that is directed along the length of the object and can be created by various forces, such as gravity, friction, or external forces.

2. How do you determine the tensions in different ropes connecting three bodies?

To determine the tensions in different ropes connecting three bodies, you need to first draw a free-body diagram for each body and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, use the equations of equilibrium to set up and solve a system of equations to find the unknown tensions. The sum of the tensions in each rope must equal the total force acting on the body.

3. What factors can affect the tensions in the ropes?

The tensions in the ropes can be affected by various factors, such as the weight of the bodies, the angle at which the ropes are connected, the friction between the ropes and the bodies, and any external forces acting on the bodies. These factors can change the magnitude and direction of the tensions in the ropes.

4. How does the tension in a rope change when the angle of connection changes?

The tension in a rope changes when the angle of connection changes because the component of the force acting along the rope also changes. As the angle increases, the tension in the rope also increases, and vice versa. This is due to the trigonometric relationship between the angle and the forces acting on the body.

5. Can the tensions in the ropes be negative?

Yes, the tensions in the ropes can be negative if the direction of the force acting on the body is opposite to the direction of the tension force. This means that the rope is being pushed instead of being pulled, and the tension is acting in the opposite direction. However, the magnitude of the tension will still be positive.