Find the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle

In summary, the coordinates of the third vertex of an equilateral triangle can be found by using the distance formula twice or by finding the equation of the perpendicular to the line joining the two given vertices and passing through its midpoint. Another approach is to express the vertices as complex numbers and rotate the vector side by ±π/3 and add it to the first vertex. It can also be proved by equating the squares of the distances between the three vertices.
parshyaa

Homework Statement

Q. Prove that If (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two vertices of an Equilateral Triangle then the coordinates of the 3rd vertex (X,Y) are
$$X=\frac{x1+x2\pm\ √3(y1-y2)}{2},$$
$$Y=\frac{y1+y2\pm\ √3(x1-x2)}{2},$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I used distance formula,cos rule,sine rule, equated determinant formula of area of triangle to (√3/4)((side)^2)
Please give me a really helpful hint or not so complex proof.

Last edited:
Likes Shubham 143
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can do it using just one formula. Take the unknown coordinate as something and then use any of the two formulas to get two equations and solve them together.

Mastermind01 said:
I don't think you can do it using just one formula. Take the unknown coordinate as something and then use any of the two formulas to get two equations and solve them together.
I am not asking how to find the coordinates of the third vertex if coordinates of two vertices are given, i am asking how do i prove that (X,Y) coordinates of third vertex are as given in question.

parshyaa said:
I am not asking how to find the coordinates of the third vertex if coordinates of two vertices are given, i am asking how do i prove that (X,Y) coordinates of third vertex are as given in question.

Aren't they the same? I mean if you find the third vertices and they came out to be the same as given then that's the proof.

Anyway you can assume that the ones given are the third vertices and prove that they're equidistant from each other.

Mastermind01 said:
Aren't they the same? I mean if you find the third vertices and they came out to be the same as given then that's the proof.

Anyway you can assume that the ones given are the third vertices and prove that they're equidistant from each other.
Thats the question how do i find the third vertex, tell me which equations i have to use, do you know the proof.

parshyaa said:
Thats the question how do i find the third vertex, tell me which equations i have to use, do you know the proof.

While the calculation will be complicated, take the third vertex to be ##(X,Y)## and use the distance formula twice to get two equations. Doesn't that work?

A little less calculation might be to find the equation of the perpendicular to the line joining ##(x1, y1)## and ##(x2,y2)## and passing through it's midpoint. Then find points on the line such that they are equidistant from the two vertices and the distance is equal to the distance between them.

A third method might be to find the equation as in the previous method. Given two vertices you can surely find the length of height of the triangle. Find points on the line at a distance of the height lying on your line.

Last edited:
Mastermind01 said:
While the calculation will be complicated, take the third vertex to be ##(X,Y)## and use the distance formula twice to get two equations. Doesn't that work?
No its not working, try it yourself first

parshyaa said:

WLOG assume ##(x_1, y_1) = (0, 0)##, ##(x_2, y_2) = (a, 0)##. where ##a## is the length of a side.

Then the question becomes,

$$X=\frac{a}{2}$$ and $$Y=\frac{\pm\ \sqrt{3}(a)}{2}$$

Which is easy enough to prove.

For the WLOG, the reason is that you can always transform origin to ##(x_1, x_2)## and then perform a rotation for an angle equal to arctangent of slope of line passing through two given point.

Here's another approach. To save typing I will call the first point ##(a,b)## and the second ##(c,d)##. Express them as complex numbers ##w = a +bi##, and ##v=c+di##. The vector side of the triangle can be represented as ##v-w##. Rotate it by ##\pm \frac \pi 3## and add it to ##w##. So the point(s) you seek for the third vertex are represented by the complex number(s)$$
w + e^{\pm \frac {i\pi} 3}(v-w)$$Express the exponential using Euler's formula and calculate it directly.

Last edited:
Likes parshyaa
parshyaa said:
I have tried it, and it works, but by equating the squares of the distances, rather than the distances themselves. It really does work, but may take several pages of algebraic manipulation; I just used a computer algebra package instead, but in principle it can all be done manually.

All you really need to do is show ## (X-x_1)^2+(Y-y_1)^2=(X-x_2)^2+(Y-y_2)^2=(x_1-x_2)^2+(y_1-y_2)^2 ##. They give you the answer, so you really don't need to solve for ## (X,Y) ##. The ## \pm ## is because there are two ways (=two separate points) to complete the equilateral triangle.

Likes qspeechc

1. How do you find the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle?

The third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle can be found by using the distance formula to calculate the length of each side of the triangle. Then, using the Pythagorean theorem, the third coordinate can be calculated by finding the square root of the difference between the length of one side squared and half of the length of another side squared.

2. What is the distance formula and how is it used to find the third coordinate?

The distance formula is a mathematical equation used to find the distance between two points on a coordinate plane. It is represented by d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2]. By plugging in the coordinates of the two known points, the distance between them can be found. This distance can then be used to calculate the third coordinate of the equilateral triangle.

3. Can the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle be negative?

Yes, the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle can be negative. This is because the coordinate system on a plane allows for both positive and negative values on the x and y axes.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle. Some methods involve using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to calculate the angle measurements of the triangle and then using those angles to find the third coordinate.

5. Can the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle be irrational?

Yes, the third coordinate of a vertex of an equilateral triangle can be irrational. This means that the coordinate will have an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be expressed as a fraction. This is often the case when using trigonometric methods to find the third coordinate.