Finding the quadratic equation that suits the solutions

In summary, the given equations x1 and x2 are solutions to x² + x + 1 = 0, and equations y1 = ax1 + x2 and y2 = x1 + ax2 are solutions to the quadratic equation y^2 - (a+1)y + a^2 - a + 1 = 0. This can be derived by replacing x1 and x2 in equations 2) and 3), and simplifying using the formula (y - y1)(y - y2). The values of y1 + y2 and y1y2 can be determined in terms of a, x1 + x2 = -1 and x1x2 = 1.
diredragon

Homework Statement

if x1 and x2 are solutions to 1) x² + x + 1 = 0, then 2) y1 = ax1 + x2 and 3) y2 = x1 + ax2 are solutions to which quadratic equation?

Homework Equations

ax² + bx + c = 0
x1∕2 = (−b ± √(b² - 4ac))/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, firstly i solved for x1 and x2 getting:
x1 = (−1 + √(-3))/2
x2 = (−1 - √(-3))/2
I now have in mind to replace the x1 and x2 in equations 2) and 3), and after i simplify best i can to find the equation by means of following formula:
(y - y1)(y - y2)
Will this yield the solution, and is there a simpler way of doing this? The simplification alone is a hard task letalone the multiplication that comes afterwards.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Observation: [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the solutions of [itex]x^2 + bx + c = 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]x_1 + x_2 = -b[/itex] and [itex]x_1x_2 = c[/itex], since [tex]
(x - x_1)(x - x_2) = x^2 - (x_1 + x_2)x + x_1x_2.[/tex] You didn't need to solve [itex]x^2 + x + 1 = 0[/itex]; the quadratic you are looking for is [tex]y^2 - (y_1 + y_2)y + y_1y_2 = 0,[/tex] and both [itex]y_1 + y_2[/itex] and [itex]y_1y_2[/itex] can be expressed in terms of [itex]a[/itex], [itex]x_1 + x_2 = -1[/itex] and [itex]x_1x_2 = 1[/itex] by adding and multiplying equations (2) and (3) respectively.

That is really helpful, now i have solved it rightly. Its y^2 - (a+1)y + a^2 - a + 1 = 0
Thanks

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it has one variable raised to the power of two. It is written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

How do you find the solutions to a quadratic equation?

The solutions to a quadratic equation can be found by using the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also factor the equation or use a graphing calculator to find the solutions.

What is the process for finding a quadratic equation that suits given solutions?

To find a quadratic equation that suits given solutions, you can use the reverse of the process for finding solutions. First, plug the given solutions into the quadratic formula and solve for a, b, and c. Then, use those values to write the equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

What if the solutions are imaginary numbers?

If the solutions to a quadratic equation are imaginary numbers, it means that the equation has no real solutions. This occurs when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative. The solutions will involve the imaginary unit i and will be in the form a + bi and a - bi.

Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can only have two solutions. This is because the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex solutions. Since a quadratic equation is a polynomial of degree 2, it can have a maximum of two solutions.