Find the time when the spring reaches its max height

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the constant of springs in a system and using conservation of energy to find the velocity of a small object. The question was then recast to finding the fraction of the period needed for the mass to reach maximum height. The conversation also mentioned using the equation Weight force = k*x to find the spring constant and approximating pi to 3 to evaluate the square root without a calculator.
kuruman said:
Yes, strictly in the context of the question. To the untrained eye, the equation ##T=2\pi\sqrt{d/g}## may seem to imply that when the oscillator is taken to the Moon, the period will decrease, just like the period of a pendulum.
Yes, good point. I find quite a lot of missteps in threads on this forum come from applying a memorised equation out of its rather narrow context. As a student, I had the advantage of not being able to remember reams of equations, so relied on the most fundamental ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Yes, good point. I find quite a lot of missteps in threads on this forum come from applying a memorised equation out of its rather narrow context. As a student, I had the advantage of not being able to remember reams of equations, so relied on the most fundamental ones.
it's weird.. why there's g on periode and not depend on g..

Because when ##g## decreases by some factor, ##d = mg/k## decreases by the same factor the ratio ##d/g## remains the same because it's equal to the ratio ##m/k## that remains the same.

Likes Helly123
kuruman said:
Because when ##g## decreases by some factor, ##d = mg/k## decreases by the same factor the ratio ##d/g## remains the same because it's equal to the ratio ##m/k## that remains the same.
haha.. Socrates ;)