Find the transfer function for this signal flow graph

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the Manson method to solve a problem involving transfer functions and loops in a system. The speakers also mention the use of other software such as freeMASON, Mathematica, or Maple to help with the calculations. The conversation ends with a request for the correct answer to the problem.
dat

Homework Statement

da.jpg

Homework Equations

Manson method

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Manson method. I am not sure this is the best result. can someone use MATLAB or some software to solve this quickly ??
tyt.png

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the man is called Mason, and sorry: I think you are your method is wrong.

Now, if you number the points from x to y: 1 . . 6, the transfer function from 1 to 2 seems to be 1. But later you will have a problem with the W4 from 1 to 3. You must move this W4 connection from 1-3 to 1-2. You can do this if you substitute the W4 by W4/W1, so that the new 1-2 function becomes 1 + W4/W1.

In the same way you must move the W5 function from 3-5 to 4-5, so that the new 4-5 function becomes
1 + W5/W2. So now the 2-3 and 3-4 loops in series have been made nice and clean.

You will have to do some more movements, to unfasten the loops, but I hope you understand the "system". Having done so, the rest of the problem is Mason's.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt and dat
My general comment is that the first thing to do is to label the edges so that all forward paths and loops can be clearly identified. Then do the substitutions in each clearly identified path. As far as I can see, the forward path gains and the loop gains make sense. But it is very difficult to identify the paths being calculated and I got tired of looking at it.
I am not aware of any software package that helps these calculations except one called freeMASON by Nikolai Schwerg https://www.radioeng.cz/fulltexts/2012/12_03_0892_0897.pdf The formula manipulations are equivalent to some standard matrix calculations, so there may be some software like Mathematica or Maple that would help.

Likes dat
Hesch said:
I think the man is called Mason, and sorry: I think you are your method is wrong.

Now, if you number the points from x to y: 1 . . 6, the transfer function from 1 to 2 seems to be 1. But later you will have a problem with the W4 from 1 to 3. You must move this W4 connection from 1-3 to 1-2. You can do this if you substitute the W4 by W4/W1, so that the new 1-2 function becomes 1 + W4/W1.

In the same way you must move the W5 function from 3-5 to 4-5, so that the new 4-5 function becomes
1 + W5/W2. So now the 2-3 and 3-4 loops in series have been made nice and clean.

You will have to do some more movements, to unfasten the loops, but I hope you understand the "system". Having done so, the rest of the problem is Mason's.
I understand what you mean, your method is the first method I learned. I can solve this problem by only doing your method, not using Mason method. But Mason method I had used is the faster way to solve and it assume that you don't have to simplify the graph.

Hesch said:

oopss

FactChecker said:
My general comment is that the first thing to do is to label the edges so that all forward paths and loops can be clearly identified. Then do the substitutions in each clearly identified path. As far as I can see, the forward path gains and the loop gains make sense. But it is very difficult to identify the paths being calculated and I got tired of looking at it.
I am not aware of any software package that helps these calculations except one called freeMASON by Nikolai Schwerg https://www.radioeng.cz/fulltexts/2012/12_03_0892_0897.pdf The formula manipulations are equivalent to some standard matrix calculations, so there may be some software like Mathematica or Maple that would help.
can you just put the graph in the software and find the tranfer funtion to get the result ?? I only want to know the right answer

dat said:
can you just put the graph in the software and find the tranfer funtion to get the result ?? I only want to know the right answer
Sorry, I have never used that software and don't have it.

Likes dat
FactChecker said:
Sorry, I have never used that software and don't have it.
thank you for your concern

Related to Find the transfer function for this signal flow graph

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the output of a system changes in response to different inputs.

How is a transfer function related to a signal flow graph?

A signal flow graph is a visual representation of a system's input-output relationships. The transfer function for a signal flow graph is derived by analyzing the graph and determining the overall transfer function for the system.

What information do I need to find the transfer function for a signal flow graph?

In order to find the transfer function for a signal flow graph, you will need to know the transfer functions for each individual block in the graph, as well as the connections between the blocks.

What are the benefits of using a transfer function for a signal flow graph?

A transfer function allows you to understand the behavior of a system without having to physically test it. It also provides a way to analyze and design systems for specific performance specifications.

Are there any limitations to using a transfer function for a signal flow graph?

While transfer functions are a useful tool for analyzing and designing systems, they are based on certain assumptions and may not accurately represent real-world systems in all cases. They also do not take into account external disturbances or nonlinearities in the system.