Find the Value os Cos Vectors

In summary, the points P, Q and R have position vectors 2i + 5j - 3k, i + 4j - 2k and 3i + 3j - 2k, respectively. The angle between PQ and PR is theta, and to find the value of cos of theta, the dot product of PQ and PR was divided by the product of their magnitudes. The resulting answer is 2/√18, which is equivalent to about 61 degrees when graphed.
Peter G.
The points P, Q and R have position vectors 2i + 5j -3k, i + 4j - 2k and 3i + 3j - 2k, respectively. Given that the angle between PQ and PR is theta, find the value of cos of theta:

So, the first thing I did was to find PQ and PR. I got:

PQ = -i -j + k
PR = i + 2j + k

Then what I did was I found the dot product between the two of those and then found the magnitude of each and multiplied them. I thought I would get the value of cos of theta by dividing the dot product by the the product of the magnitude of each but the answer in the book does not agree with mine. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
PQ dot PR = |PR| |PQ| cos theta

(PQ dot PR) / (|PR| |PQ|) = cos theta

should be right

post what you got for PQ dot PR and the magnitudes

Ok, for the dot product: 2
Product of Magnitudes: √18

-1*1 + -1*2 + 1*1 =

-1 + -2 + 1

= -2

Isn't the j component -1 * -2?

Peter G. said:
Isn't the j component -1 * -2?

you wrote +2j and -j

Oh, I'm so sorry... Ok, if we look back at the first post, R - P will yield i - 2j + k. So the answer is in fact 2/√18?

Peter G. said:
Oh, I'm so sorry... Ok, if we look back at the first post, R - P will yield i - 2j + k. So the answer is in fact 2/√18?

seems like it

the angle should be about 61 degrees you can graph it to verify on a graphing system if you want

1. What is the definition of a cosine vector?

A cosine vector is a vector that represents the magnitude and direction of the cosine function at a specific point on a graph. It is typically represented as a directed line segment with a specific length and direction.

2. How do you find the value of a cosine vector?

The value of a cosine vector can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of the vector and then using trigonometric functions to determine the direction of the vector.

3. What is the relationship between cosine vectors and trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions, such as cosine, are used to calculate the length and direction of a cosine vector. The value of a cosine vector represents the output of the cosine function at a specific point on a graph.

4. Can a cosine vector have a negative value?

Yes, a cosine vector can have a negative value. This indicates that the direction of the vector is in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis.

5. How are cosine vectors used in real-world applications?

Cosine vectors are commonly used in physics, engineering, and geometry to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to represent rotations and orientations in 3D space.