Find the shortest distance between the given vectors in 3D

In summary, the only solution given for the textbook problem is ##3.## No working is shown or given, but researching the use of directional vectors may be a more solid approach. By setting ##A=(6,-4,4)##, ##B=(2,1,2)##, and ##C=(3,-1,4)## and applying the formula ##\dfrac {|BA×BC|}{|BC|}##, the shortest distance is found to be ##3##. It is also noted that the formula ##\dfrac {|CA×CB|}{|CB|}## gives the same result.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find the shortest distance from ##(6,-4,4)## to the line joining ##(2,1,2)## and ##(3,-1,4)##
Relevant Equations
vectors in 3D
This is a textbook problem...the only solution given is ##3.##...with no working shown or given.

My working is below; i just researched for a method on google, i need to read more in this area...use of the directional vector may seem to be a more solid approach.

Ok i let ##A=(6,-4,4)##, ##B=(2,1,2)## and ##C=(3,-1,4)##
The shortest distance will be given by the formula;

##\dfrac {|BA×BC|}{|BC|}##
where
##BA=4i-5j+2k##
##BC=i-2j+2k##
therefore on substituting into the formula we shall have,
##\dfrac {|-6i-6j-3k|}{|i-2j+2k|}##= ##\dfrac {\sqrt{36+36+9}}{\sqrt {1+4+4}}=\dfrac{9}{3}=3##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that also
##\dfrac {|CA×CB|}{|CB|}## works! and same result is found.

1. What is the formula for finding the shortest distance between two vectors in 3D?

The formula for finding the shortest distance between two vectors in 3D is the magnitude of the vector difference between the two points. This can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. Can the shortest distance between two vectors be negative?

No, the shortest distance between two vectors cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and is always positive.

3. How do I find the shortest distance between two vectors if they are not perpendicular?

If the two vectors are not perpendicular, you can use the dot product to find the angle between them. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the shortest distance between the two vectors.

4. Is there a difference between distance and displacement in 3D space?

Yes, there is a difference between distance and displacement in 3D space. Distance is the actual length of the path traveled, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions.

5. Can the shortest distance between two vectors be greater than the magnitude of either vector?

No, the shortest distance between two vectors cannot be greater than the magnitude of either vector. This is because the shortest distance is always the straight line distance between the two points, which cannot be greater than the length of either vector.