Find Total Force of Explosion in Asteroid Mine Shaft

In summary, the total force of an explosion cannot be determined solely based on the energy of the explosion and without any displacement. To estimate the likelihood of the asteroid exploding, one could compare the energy of the explosion to the binding energy of the asteroid. However, this is just a general estimate and other factors, such as the presence of faults, may also play a role.
Tris Fray Potter
How would I find the total force of an explosion if I have the energy of the explosion, and no displacement?
The explosion is taking in place inside a mine shaft in an asteroid, and I need to know if the asteroid would blow up or not?
Is it possible to find the force, and how would I do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tris Fray Potter said:
total force of an explosion

Sadly, there is no such thing.

Tris Fray Potter said:
The explosion is taking in place inside a mine shaft in an asteroid, and I need to know if the asteroid would blow up or not?

To get an order of magnitude guess, you should compare the energy of explosion to the binding energy of the asteroid.

Likes Tris Fray Potter
Vanadium 50 said:
Sadly, there is no such thing.
To get an order of magnitude guess, you should compare the energy of explosion to the binding energy of the asteroid.
Thank-you. I've been working on this for the past few weeks, and I have, obviously gotten no where.

Do you want the asteroid to "explode"? If so then "a previously undetected fault in the stone allowed the explosion to..." etc.

1. What is the total force of an explosion in an asteroid mine shaft?

The total force of an explosion in an asteroid mine shaft is dependent on several factors such as the size of the explosive, the composition of the asteroid, and the structural integrity of the mine shaft. It is difficult to provide a specific answer without more information.

2. How is the total force of an explosion in an asteroid mine shaft calculated?

The total force of an explosion in an asteroid mine shaft can be calculated by using the equation F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. In this case, the mass would be the mass of the explosive, and the acceleration would be the rate at which the explosive expands.

3. Can the total force of an explosion in an asteroid mine shaft be accurately predicted?

Predicting the total force of an explosion in an asteroid mine shaft can be challenging due to the many variables involved. However, with advanced computer simulations and data on the asteroid's composition and the explosive used, a fairly accurate prediction can be made.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when dealing with explosions in asteroid mine shafts?

Safety precautions should be taken when dealing with explosions in asteroid mine shafts to prevent accidents and minimize damage. These may include proper training and equipment for handling explosives, strict protocols for handling and storing explosives, and regular safety inspections of the mine shaft.

5. Can the total force of an explosion in an asteroid mine shaft cause damage to nearby structures?

Yes, depending on the size and force of the explosion, it can cause damage to nearby structures. This is why careful planning and risk assessment should be conducted before any explosive activity in an asteroid mine shaft.