Find unknowns in equation going from perfect square? to quadratic format?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the goal is to solve for variables a, b, and c in the equation (6x+2z)^2-64=(ax+2z+8)(-8+bx+cz). The method being used is equating coefficients, but the proposed values for a, b, and c are incorrect. The correct values are a = 6, b = 6, and c = 2, which are obtained by expanding the equation and equating coefficients. The conversation ends with a note about the importance of the equation being true for all values of x and y.
danielw
Hi all

I'm trying to work out how to answer this type of problem.

\(\displaystyle (6x+2z)^2-64=(ax+2z+8)(-8+bx+cz)\) where a, b and c > 0

I have attempted the problem by expanding the brackets:

\(\displaystyle =36x^2+24xz+4z^2-64\)

This is the same as \(\displaystyle (6x+2z)^2-(8)^2\)

Then subtracting from either 'side' of the quadratic and multiplying the result:

\(\displaystyle =((6x+2z)-8)*((6x+2z)+8)\)

So visually comparing these results I got
\(\displaystyle a=6\\
b=2\\
c=2\)

But this is wrong.

I think my method may be wrong.

I'm looking for guidance on how to solve this kind of problem.

I hope one of you can help.

Many thanks

Daniel

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi danielw and welcome to MHB! :D

The method you're using is usually called "equating coefficients" and it's a good approach. Review your work and try $a=b=6,\,c=2$.

Note that, in order to be able to solve for a, b, and c, the equation must be true for all x and y.

danielw said:
[tex]\text {Solve for }a,b,c: \;(6x+2z)^2-64\:=\: (ax+2z+8)(bx+cz-8) [/tex]

[tex]\text{Expand: }\;36x^2 +24xz + 4z^2 - 64 \;=\;abx^2 + acxz - 8ax + 2bxz +2cz^2 - 16z + 8bx + 8cz - 64[/tex]

[tex]\text{Equate coefficients: }\;\;36 \:=\:ab, \quad 24 \:=\:ac + 2b, \quad 4 \:=\:2c, \quad 8b-8a - 0, \quad 8c - 16 \:=\:0 [/tex]

[tex]\text{And we get: }\;\;\boxed{ a = 6,\;b = 6,\;c = 2}[/tex]

1. How do I identify a perfect square in an equation?

To identify a perfect square in an equation, look for a term that is a square of a single variable. For example, in the equation x^2 + 6x + 9 = 0, the term 9 is a perfect square of x.

2. What is the process for going from perfect square to quadratic format?

The process for going from perfect square to quadratic format involves completing the square. This means taking the coefficient of the x term, dividing it by 2, and squaring it. Then, add this value to both sides of the equation. The result will be a quadratic equation in the form (x + a)^2 = b.

3. Can I use the quadratic formula to find unknowns in a perfect square equation?

No, the quadratic formula is used to find solutions of general quadratic equations, not perfect square equations. The process of going from perfect square to quadratic format is a simpler method for solving these types of equations.

4. How do I know if I have found all possible solutions when solving for unknowns in a perfect square equation?

If you have completed the square and get a solution in the form (x + a)^2 = b, there will be two possible solutions. If you get a negative value when taking the square root, there will be no real solutions.

5. Can I use the same process for finding unknowns in any quadratic equation?

No, the process of going from perfect square to quadratic format only works for equations that are already in perfect square form. For other quadratic equations, you will need to use different methods such as factoring or the quadratic formula.