Find Value of α for Scalar Product a\cdotb = 0 & Explain Phys. Significance

In summary: In this case, that means that they are perpendicular in the xy-plane: the z-components are irrelevant.
subzero0137
Vectors a and b correspond to the vectors from the origin to the points A with co-ordinates (3,4,0) and B with co-ordinates (α,4, 2) respectively. Find a value of α that makes the scalar product a[itex]\cdot[/itex]b equal to zero, and explain the physical significance.

My attempt:
The scalar product a[itex]\cdot[/itex]b is given by |a||b|cosθ=[itex]5 \sqrt{α^{2}+20}[/itex]cosθ=0, therefore [itex]α=\sqrt{20}[/itex]i. But I don't know the physical significance of this. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, ##\alpha## is a real number, so you won't be able to achieve ##\sqrt{\alpha^2 + 20} = 0##. The solution you are seeking will give you ##\cos \theta = 0##. But since you haven't related ##\theta## to ##\alpha##, that doesn't help much. Instead of using ##a \cdot b = |a||b|\cos \theta##, do you know another formula for ##a \cdot b##?

Likes 1 person
subzero0137 said:
Vectors a and b correspond to the vectors from the origin to the points A with co-ordinates (3,4,0) and B with co-ordinates (α,4, 2) respectively. Find a value of α that makes the scalar product a[itex]\cdot[/itex]b equal to zero, and explain the physical significance.

My attempt:
The scalar product a[itex]\cdot[/itex]b is given by |a||b|cosθ=[itex]5 \sqrt{α^{2}+20}[/itex]cosθ=0
That is one way calculate the dot product but, rather than calculate [itex]\theta[/itex], it is simpler to use [itex](a, b, c)\cdot (u, v, w)= au+ bv+ cw[/itex]. Here that would be 3a+ 16+ 0= 3a+ 16= 0.

, therefore [itex]α=\sqrt{20}[/itex]i.

No, a must be a real number. The fact that the dot product is 0 does NOT mean one of the vectors must have length 0. It is also possible that [itex]cos(\theta)= 0[/itex].

But I don't know the physical significance of this. Please help!
Two non-zero vectors have 0 dot product if and only if they are perpendicular.

Likes 1 person

Related to Find Value of α for Scalar Product a\cdotb = 0 & Explain Phys. Significance

1. What is α in the scalar product equation a·b = 0?

In the scalar product equation, α represents the angle between the two vectors a and b. It is also known as the angle of inclination or the angle of deflection.

2. How is the value of α determined in the scalar product equation a·b = 0?

The value of α can be determined using the dot product formula: α = cos⁻¹(a·b / (|a||b|)). This formula takes into account the magnitudes and direction of the two vectors to calculate the angle between them.

3. Why is the scalar product a·b = 0 significant in physics?

The scalar product a·b = 0 is significant in physics because it represents the perpendicularity of two vectors. This is important in understanding the relationship between forces and motion, as well as in calculating work and energy in a system.

4. How does the value of α affect the result of the scalar product a·b = 0?

The value of α affects the result of the scalar product a·b = 0 by determining the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector. If α is 90 degrees, the resulting vector will have a magnitude of 0, indicating that the two vectors are perpendicular. As α decreases, the resulting vector will have a larger magnitude and will be closer in direction to one of the original vectors.

5. Can the scalar product a·b = 0 have a negative value for α?

No, the scalar product a·b = 0 cannot have a negative value for α. This is because the cosine function only returns values between 0 and 180 degrees, and cannot produce a negative result. However, the resulting vector from the scalar product can have a negative direction, depending on the direction of the original vectors.