Find Vector C when given Vector A & B.

• Thread starter ichivictus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem where the goal is to find a Vector C that satisfies 2A + 7B + 4C = 0. The teacher attempted to guide the students, but some are still struggling. The attempt at a solution involves using linear algebra equations to solve for the components of C. One mistake is pointed out and the correct solution is provided.
ichivictus
This is from Schaum's 3000 solved Physics problems (1.75). The teacher attempted to guide us to solve it but me and a few classmates are still struggling to figure this out.

Homework Statement

Vector A = 3i + 5j - 2k
Vector B = -3j + 6k
Find a Vector C such that 2A + 7B + 4C = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

This looks a lot like Linear Algebra, something I am not particularly skilled in, however I think I gave it a decent shot.

Ax = 3
Ay = 5
Az = -2

Bx = -3
Bz = 6

2(3) + 7(-3) + 4(Cx) = 0
Cx = 15/4 = 3.75

2(5) + 0 + 4(Cy) = 0
Cy = -10/4 = -5/2 = -2.5

2(-2) + 7(6) + 4(Cz) = 0
Cz = -38/4 = -19/2 = -9.5

So therefor Vector C = (15/4)i - (5/2)j - (19/2)k

The real solution is C = -1.5i + 2.75j - 9.5k

Looks like I got Cz correct, but I can't figure out how to get Cx and Cy.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off your B components are wrong Bx=0 By=-3 and Bz=6

and you have three equations to get the three C components:

2Ax + 7Bx + 4Cx = 0

2Ay + 7By + 4Cy = 0

2Az + 7Bz + 4Cz = 0

so its simple algebra from here

Likes 1 person
Ax = 3
Ay = 5
Az = -2

Bx = -3
Bz = 6

Should be By=-3 not Bx ?

Edit: jedishrfu beat me to it.

Oh simple mistake ha. Thanks!

Can anyone please provide some guidance or a solution to this problem?

I can understand your struggle with this problem. It is important to remember that in vector addition, the components of each vector must be added separately. In this case, we have 2A + 7B + 4C = 0, so we can rewrite this as 2(3i + 5j - 2k) + 7(-3j + 6k) + 4Cx + 4Cy + 4Cz = 0. This gives us:

6i + 10j - 4k - 21j + 42k + 4Cx + 4Cy + 4Cz = 0

Combining like terms, we get:

(6 + 4Cx)i + (-11 + 4Cy)j + (38 + 4Cz)k = 0

This means that:

6 + 4Cx = 0
-11 + 4Cy = 0
38 + 4Cz = 0

Solving these equations, we get:

Cx = -1.5
Cy = 2.75
Cz = -9.5

Therefore, Vector C = -1.5i + 2.75j - 9.5k. I hope this helps you understand the solution to this problem. Remember to always pay attention to the components of each vector and add them separately. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (length) and direction. In other words, it is a line segment with a specific length and direction in space.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector terms, the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can add or subtract the components separately to find the resulting vector. This can be visualized as moving one vector to the tip of the other vector to form a new vector.

5. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This operation is often used in physics and engineering to calculate work and energy.