Find velocity-time equation from velocity-position equation

• Thread starter MatinSAR
  • Start date
In summary: The point of my first post here was that you should recognise an equation you've seen before. That was a quick way to realise we do have a constant acceleration solution.PS if you draw a graph (extended to ##t = 0##), then it's clear. ##t_0## is just an arbitrary label on the graph. It's the same graph however you label the points, so you might as well have ##t_0 = 0##.So according to this, Can I say that ##v
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Find velocity-time and position-time equation from velocity-position equation(Kinematics).
Relevant Equations
##v=at+v_{0}##
##v^2=v_{0}^2+2a(x-x_{0})##
##x=x_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac 1 2 at^2##
The velocity-position equation of an object that is moving in a straight line is ##v^2-16=4x##. If ##v_{0}<0## find average velocity for ##3<t<5##.

Answer of the book starts with :

We know that :
##v^2-v_{0}^2=2a(x-x_{0})##
##v^2-16=4x##

So ##v_{0}^2=16## => ##v_{0}=-4## and ##a=2##.
##v=at+v_{0}## => ##v=2t-4##

I can't undestand how it finds out that at t=0 we have ##v_{0}=-4## because it might be ##t=t_{0}>0##. In this case book's answer is wrong be cause we should use ##v=a(t-t_{0})+v_{0}## ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equations are all for the constant acceleration case. You ought not assume that here. However, it does look like the book answer assumes that. It also assumes ##x_0=0##.
As to your question, the problem statement does not mention ##t_0##. It does not define ##v_0##, but it is reasonable to suppose that means the velocity at t=0.
The solver chose ##t_0## to represent t at the start, so it equals 0 by definition.

Fwiw, you can deduce acceleration is constant. Differentiating ##v^2=4x+16## wrt x yields ##2v\frac{dv}{dx}=4##, and in general ##v\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{dv}{dt}##.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Your relevant equations are all for the constant acceleration case. You ought not assume that here. However, it does look like the book answer assumes that. It also assumes ##x_0=0##.
As to your question, the problem statement does not mention ##t_0##. It does not define ##v_0##, but it is reasonable to suppose that means the velocity at t=0.
The solver chose ##t_0## to represent t at the start, so it equals 0 by definition.

Fwiw, you can deduce acceleration is constant. Differentiating ##v^2=4x+16## wrt x yields ##2v\frac{dv}{dx}=4##, and in general ##v\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{dv}{dt}##.
Thank you for your time.
How can we know that ##v_0^2=16##?
It might be velocity in another time ... because in general we have ##v_{2}^2=v_{1}^2+2a(x_{2}-x_{1})## and this ##v_{1}## is different from ##v(t=0)##.

MatinSAR said:
The velocity-position equation of an object that is moving in a straight line is ##v^2-16=4x##.
You can also see directly that this equation is of the form ##v^2 - (\pm 4)^2 = 2(2)x##. Compare this with the equation of constant acceleration, starting at ##x = 0##: ##v^2 - u^2 = 2ax##.

One solution, therefore, is ##a = 2, v_0 = \pm 4, x_0 = 0##.

And, let's not worry about units.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
You can also see directly that this equation is of the form ##v^2 - (\pm 4)^2 = 2(2)x##. Compare this with the equation of constant acceleration, starting at ##x = 0##: ##v^2 - u^2 = 2ax##.

One solution, therefore, is ##a = 2, v_0 = \pm 4, x_0 = 0##.

And, let's not worry about units.
Thank you.
But we can use these if we have ##t_0=0##. Am I right?
I mean if for ##v_0 = \pm 4, x_0 = 0## we have ##t_0>0## the we cannot use ##v =u+at##.

MatinSAR said:
we have ##t_0>0## the we cannot use ##v =u+at##.
That's purely notation. I would take ##t_0 = 0, t_1 = 3, t_2 = 5##. If you take ##t_0 = 3##, then you have the same solution, but you need to mess about unnecessarily with the standard equations.

Likes MatinSAR
PS if you draw a graph (extended to ##t = 0##), then it's clear. ##t_0## is just an arbitrary label on the graph. It's the same graph however you label the points, so you might as well have ##t_0 = 0##.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
That's purely notation. I would take ##t_0 = 0, t_1 = 3, t_2 = 5##. If you take ##t_0 = 3##, then you have the same solution, but you need to mess about unnecessarily with the standard equations.
This is what I meant. If I choose for example ##t_0=3## then I can't use ##v=u+at##. Am I right?

MatinSAR said:
This is what I meant. If I choose for example ##t_0=3## then I can't use ##v=u+at##. Am I right?
The full equations have ##x_0## and ##v_0## in them. For example:
$$v(t) = u(t_0) + a(t-t_0)$$And$$v(t_2) = u(t_1) + a(t_2 - t_1)$$and$$v(t_2)^2 - v(t_1)^2 = 2a(x(t_2) - x(t_1))$$The point of my first post here was that you should recognise an equation you've seen before. That was a quick way to realise we do have a constant acceleration solution.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
PS if you draw a graph (extended to ##t = 0##), then it's clear. ##t_0## is just an arbitrary label on the graph. It's the same graph however you label the points, so you might as well have ##t_0 = 0##.
So according to this, Can I say that ##v(t)=v_0+at## is an equation of a line and we can find it by any given two points like ##(t_1,v(t_1))## and ##(t_2,v(t_2))##?

MatinSAR said:
So according to this, Can I say that ##v(t)=v_0+at## is an equation of a line and we can find it by any given two points like ##(t_1,v(t_1))## and ##(t_2,v(t_2))##?
Yes, there's an important link generally between kinematic equations and geometry. The trajectory of a particle is, after all, a curve of some description in 3D space.

In a physical scenario, the starting time ##t = 0## can be literally where the motion starts (e.g. a ball being kicked). Or, it can be some arbitrary point in the trajectory (e.g. a planetary orbit).

Constant acceleration motion maps to straight lines and parabolas. Planetary and related motion maps to conic sections (circles, ellipses and hyperbolas).

A charged particle in a constant magnetic field moves in a helix.

And, more generally motion is some smooth curve in space.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Yes, there's an important link generally between kinematic equations and geometry. The trajectory of a particle is, after all, a curve of some description in 3D space.

In a physical scenario, the starting time ##t = 0## can be literally where the motion starts (e.g. a ball being kicked). Or, it can be some arbitrary point in the trajectory (e.g. a planetary orbit).

Constant acceleration motion maps to straight lines and parabolas. Planetary and related motion maps to conic sections (circles, ellipses and hyperbolas).

A charged particle in a constant magnetic field moves in a helix.

And, more generally motion is some smooth curve in space.
Thank you for your time.

Likes PeroK

What is the difference between velocity-position and velocity-time equations?

The velocity-position equation describes the relationship between an object's position and its velocity at a specific point in time. The velocity-time equation, on the other hand, describes how an object's velocity changes over time.

How do I convert a velocity-position equation into a velocity-time equation?

To convert a velocity-position equation into a velocity-time equation, you can use the derivative of the position equation with respect to time. This will give you the velocity-time equation.

Can I use any velocity-position equation to find the velocity-time equation?

No, the velocity-position equation must be in the form of x(t) = at + b, where x is the position, t is the time, a is the velocity, and b is the initial position. This form is necessary for the derivative to be taken and for the velocity-time equation to be accurate.

What are the units for the velocity-time equation?

The units for the velocity-time equation will depend on the units used for the position and time in the velocity-position equation. However, the most common units are meters per second (m/s) for velocity and seconds (s) for time.

Why is it important to have both a velocity-position and velocity-time equation?

Having both equations allows us to better understand the motion of an object. The velocity-position equation tells us the position of the object at a specific time, while the velocity-time equation tells us how the velocity of the object changes over time. Together, they give us a more complete picture of the object's motion.