Find Vol 2 in Ideal Gas Law Problem with V1 and V2 Open and V3 Shut

In summary: Pressure in the system by a capacitance manometer. Pressure before V3 is open: P(gasline) = 760 Torr. P(chamber = 1e-6 Torr). Pressure after V3 open: P Gasline = Pressure Chamber = 70mTorr.Temperature is 25C after V3 is opened.
Catstranaughts
Homework Statement
Find Volume of gasline: I have known pressure chamber (vacuum) that P= 1e-6 Torr. Volume is 101L. T = 25C. I can easily solve for n. But now I have a gasline with an unknown volume which I'm trying to calculate. I know the pressure of the gasline. but I also don't know the number of molecules in the gas line.
Relevant Equations
PV =nRT
Please refer to diagram. V1 is open initially then V2 is open for 5 minutes for pressure to equalize. V1 and V2 are then shut. V3 is opened. What is Vol 2 ? P(final)*V(final) = n(final)* R*T => (Vol1 + Vol2) = n(final)*R*25C/ 0.070 Torr where n(final) = n(Vol1) + n(Vol2)

If I shut V3, I can find the n(Vol 1), but i still don's know n(gasline) so I can't find Vol 2. Is there enough information given to solve this problem ?

Attachments

• ideal gas law.JPG
    ideal gas law.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 189
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the problem statement, you are given all the conditions prior to opening V3 except Vol2, and no final conditions. If so, it is clear that there is insufficient information. You can make Vol2 whatever you like and no facts are violated.
Please check that no final conditions are given.

Just a note on your formula: PV = nRT. Make sure your temperature is absolute (either Kelvin or Rankine). Also, your units for volume and pressure should be consistent with the units for R.

haruspex said:
If I understand the problem statement, you are given all the conditions prior to opening V3 except Vol2, and no final conditions. If so, it is clear that there is insufficient information. You can make Vol2 whatever you like and no facts are violated.
Please check that no final conditions are given.
Thanks haruspex. This is in a lab. There is a mass flow controller in the gasline. But this leaves the volume measurement dependent upon the accuracy of the MFC and gas correction factor associated with it. Is there other information I can gather to help solve this ?

scottdave said:
Just a note on your formula: PV = nRT. Make sure your temperature is absolute (either Kelvin or Rankine). Also, your units for volume and pressure should be consistent with the units for R.
Thanks Dave, I'm converting to K and atm (and using liters)

Catstranaughts said:
This is in a lab.
So what measurements were taken after opening V3?
Catstranaughts said:
There is a mass flow controller in the gasline.
You'd need to explain to me what that does.

haruspex said:
So what measurements were taken after opening V3?
Pressure in the system by a capacitance manometer. Pressure before V3 is open: P(gasline) = 760 Torr. P(chamber = 1e-6 Torr). Pressure after V3 open: P Gasline = Pressure Chamber = 70mTorr.
You'd need to explain to me what that does.
For the test, the Mass Flow Controller was programmed to max value to fully open needle valve. There is also a V4 that is opened (that bypasses the MFC)

Catstranaughts said:
Pressure after V3 open: P Gasline = Pressure Chamber = 70mTorr.
That seems to be the missing info.
One more detail... is this after temperatures have returned to 25C?

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is expressed as PV=nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. How do you use the Ideal Gas Law to find the volume of a gas?

To find the volume of a gas using the Ideal Gas Law, you need to know the pressure, temperature, and number of moles of the gas. You can then rearrange the equation to solve for V, or volume, by dividing both sides by the pressure (P) and multiplying by the temperature (T) and number of moles (n).

3. What is the difference between V1, V2, and V3 in the Ideal Gas Law?

In the context of this problem, V1, V2, and V3 refer to the volume of the gas at different states. V1 would be the initial volume when both valves are open, V2 would be the final volume when only valve 1 is open, and V3 would be the final volume when both valves are shut.

4. How do you solve for V2 in an Ideal Gas Law problem with V1 and V3 given?

To solve for V2 in this type of problem, you would first use the Ideal Gas Law to solve for V1 using the initial conditions, then use the new volume (V1) and the final volume (V3) to solve for V2 using the same equation.

5. What is the significance of having V1 and V3 in an Ideal Gas Law problem?

Having V1 and V3 in an Ideal Gas Law problem allows you to determine the effect of changing the volume of a gas. By comparing the initial volume (V1) to the final volume when both valves are shut (V3), you can see how much the volume of the gas has changed under different conditions.