Find (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1)

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the equation (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1) is used to find the product of four different variables raised to the power of two and added to one. It can be solved using the distributive property and algebraic techniques, and can have multiple solutions depending on the values of the variables. This equation has various real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering and can be solved using a calculator, though it is important to double check the solution by hand for accuracy.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $a,\,b,\,c$ and $d$ be real numbers such that $b-d\ge 5$ and all zeros $x_1,\,x_2,\,x_3$ and $x_4$ of the polynomial $P(x)=x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d$ are real. Find the smallest value the product $(x_1^2+1)(x_2^2+1)(x_3^2+1)(x_4^2+1)$ can take.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Difference of squares

We know that $P(x)=(x-x_1)(x-x_2)(x-x_3)(x-x_4)$ so if we factor the difference of squares, we get

$(x-x_1^2)(x-x_2^2)(x-x_3^2)(x-x_4^2)\\=(\sqrt{x}-x_1)(\sqrt{x}-x_2)(\sqrt{x}-x_3)(\sqrt{x}-x_4)(\sqrt{x}+x_1)(\sqrt{x}+x_2)(\sqrt{x}+x_3)(\sqrt{x}+x_4)\\=P(\sqrt{x})P(-\sqrt{x})$

Let's try this on the given expression.

$(x_1^2+1)(x_2^2+1)(x_3^2+1)(x_1^4+1)\\=(x_1^2-i^2)(x_2^2-i^2)(x_3^2-i^2)(x_1^4-i^2)\\=(x_1-i)(x_2-i)(x_3-i)(x_4-i)(x_1+i)(x_2+i)(x_3+i)(x_4+i)\\=P(i)P(-i)\\=(1-ai-b+ci+d)(1+ai-b-ci+d)\\=(1-b+d+(c-a)i)(1-b+d-(c-a)i)\\=(b-d-1)^2+(c-a)^2$

Now it is clear where the condition $b-d\ge 5$ comes in, we have

$(b-d-1)^2+(c-a)^2\ge (5-1)^2+0^2=16$

But we are not done yet, we need to exhibit a polynomial $P(x)$ that achieves the value 16. For this, we need $b-d=5$ and $c-a=0$ to hold. Fortunately there is any easy polynomial that satisfies this condition:

$(x+1)^4=x^4+4x^3+6x^2+4x+1$ and we conclude that the answer is indeed 16.

1. What is the purpose of finding (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1)?

The purpose of finding (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1) is to simplify a polynomial expression and make it easier to solve or manipulate.

2. What are the steps for finding (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1)?

The steps for finding (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1) are:

1. Distribute the first term (x₁²+1) to each term in the second set of parentheses (x₂²+1), using the FOIL method.
  2. Repeat the same process for the remaining terms (x₃²+1) and (x₄²+1).
  3. Combine like terms and simplify the resulting expression.

3. Can (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1) be factored further?

No, (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1) is already fully factored and cannot be simplified any further.

4. How can (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1) be used in real-life applications?

(x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1) can be used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. It can also be used in financial calculations and statistical analysis.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when finding (x₁²+1)(x₂²+1)(x₃²+1)(x₄²+1)?

Yes, if any of the variables (x₁, x₂, x₃, x₄) have a value of 0, the resulting expression will also be 0. Additionally, if any of the variables are complex numbers, the resulting expression may also be complex.