Normal modes of four coupled oscillating masses (Kleppner and Kolenkow)

In summary: I am a physicist, so I know my way around a bit. I'm not the best at it though. And yes, I was the one who edited the post. This is of course an easy exercise, but I just wanted to point out to the OP that their solution key is wrong.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Kleppner and Kolenkow's 2nd edition and a solution key that leads to different conclusions due to discrepancies in the equations of motion for a system with four masses connected by three springs. The correct equations of motion are derived using Hooke's Law and harmonic oscillation, and the normal mode frequencies are found using the dimensionless parameter β = ω
dford
Homework Statement
Four identical masses ##m## are joined by three identical springs, of spring constant ##k##, and are constrained to move on a line, as shown.

There is a high degree of symmetry in this problem, so that one can guess the normal mode motions by inspection, without a lengthy calculation. Once the relative amplitudes of the normal mode motions are known, the normal vibrational frequencies follow directly.

Because of the symmetry, the normal mode amplitudes must obey ##x_1 = \pm x_4## and ##x_2 = \pm x_3##. Another condition is that the center of mass must remain at rest. The possibilities are:

##(x_4 = x_1)## and ##(x_3 = x_2)##

##(x_4 = -x_1)## and ##(x_3 = -x_2)##

The normal mode equations lead to three possible non-trivial vibrational frequencies and three corresponding normal modes. Find the normal mode frequencies. It is convenient to use the dimensionless parameter ##\beta = \omega^2/\omega_0^2##, where ##\omega## is the frequency to be found and ##\omega_0 \equiv \sqrt{k/m}##.
Relevant Equations
Hooke's Law and harmonic oscillation: ##m\ddot x = -k(x-x_0)##, where ##x_0## is the equilibrium position for a spring. The general solution to this ODE is ##x(t) = A\sin(\omega t + \phi)##, where ##\omega = \sqrt{k/m}##.
Prob-6-3.png
This exercise comes from Kleppner and Kolenkow, 2nd ed., problem 6-3. I'm using a solution key as a study reference, but the solution key is coming to a pretty different conclusion. Mostly the issue is in the equations of motion for this system. I'm not sure if there's something I'm fundamentally misunderstanding, or if the solution key is wrong.

Each ##x_i## is the displacement of the ##i##th mass from its equilibrium. So for example if ##x_1 = x_2##, then the first spring is unstretched even though the first two masses are displaced from the system's equilibrium.

I beieve that the equations of motion are:
$$
\begin{cases}
m\ddot x_1 = k(x_2 - x_1), \\
m\ddot x_2 = -k(x_2 - x_1) + k(x_3 - x_2) = k(x_1 - 2x_2 + x_3), \\
m\ddot x_3 = -k(x_3 - x_2) + k(x_4 - x_3) = k(x_2 - 2x_ + x_4), \\
m\ddot x_4 = -k(x_4 - x_3).
\end{cases}
$$
Each mass oscillates according to the equation ##\ddot x_i = -\omega^2 x_i## in a normal mode, where ##\omega## is the frequency shared by all masses. Letting ##\omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}## and ##\beta = \omega^2/\omega_0^2##, and making the substitution ##\ddot x_i = -\omega^2 x_i## and dividing by ##\omega_0^2 = -k/m##, the above equations become:
$$
\begin{cases}
\beta x_1 = x_1 - x_2, \\
\beta x_2 = 2x_2 - x_1 - x_3, \\
\beta x_3 = 2x_3 - x_2 - x_4, \\
\beta x_4 = x_4 - x_3
\end{cases}
$$
And the idea is now to use the symmetry in the cases ##x_4 = x_1, x_2 = x_3## and ##x_4 = -x_1, x_2 = -x_3## to find ##\beta##.

However: The solution key I'm using as a reference has different equations of motion and different conclusion and I'm not following it. I quote it below (they're missing some negative signs but these cancel out):

For the harmonic motion of each mass, ##\ddot x_i = \omega^2 x_i##. The equation of motion for mass 1 is, for example,
$$
m\ddot x_1 = k(x_1 - x_2) \Longrightarrow \omega^2 x_1 = \frac k m (x_1 - x_2) \omega_0^2(x_1 - x_2)
$$
$$
\beta x_1 = (x_1 - x_2)
$$
where ##\omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}## and ##\beta = \omega^2/\omega_0^2##. Hence
$$
\beta x_1 = (x_1 - x_2) \quad \beta x_2 = (x_2 - x_1 - x_3)
$$
$$
\beta x_3 = (x_3 - x_2 - x_4) \quad \beta x_4 = (x_4 - x_3)
$$​
But this to me suggests that their equation of motion for the second mass, for example, would be ##m\ddot x_2 = k(x_2 - x_1 - x_3)##. Shouldn't the second mass feel the effect of both springs on either side, as I observed in my equations of motion? Or did I miss a coefficient somewhere?

UPDATE:

As someone pointed out in the link below, yes, the solution key is wrong. Thanks all :smile:

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Statement: Four identical masses ##m## are joined by three identical springs, of spring constant ##k##, and are constrained to move on a line, as shown.

There is a high degree of symmetry in this problem, so that one can guess the normal mode motions by inspection, without a lengthy calculation. Once the relative amplitudes of the normal mode motions are known, the normal vibrational frequencies follow directly.

Because of the symmetry, the normal mode amplitudes must obey ##x_1 = \pm x_4## and ##x_2 = \pm x_3##. Another condition is that the center of mass must remain at rest. The possibilities are:

##(x_4 = x_1)## and ##(x_3 = x_2)##

##(x_4 = -x_1)## and ##(x_3 = -x_2)##

The normal mode equations lead to three possible non-trivial vibrational frequencies and three corresponding normal modes. Find the normal mode frequencies. It is convenient to use the dimensionless parameter ##\beta = \omega^2/\omega_0^2##, where ##\omega## is the frequency to be found and ##\omega_0 \equiv \sqrt{k/m}##.

Relevant Equations: Hooke's Law and harmonic oscillation: ##m\ddot x = -k(x-x_0)##, where ##x_0## is the equilibrium position for a spring. The general solution to this ODE is ##x(t) = A\sin(\omega t + \phi)##, where ##\omega = \sqrt{k/m}##.

-------------

Note: I edited the above to get the MathJax input sorted out. Good thing you know ##\TeX## ! In PF MatJax the delimiter for inline math is ## and for displayed math you have $$ as delimiter. Apparently you know already, because you did well in
dford said:
I'm just seeing if this will work: x¨=−kx, or x¨=−kx.
which is a start. I don't see ##x## in the exercise, only ##x_1## etc. :wink:

Check out the treatment of a slightly simpler configuration here

(:smile: as you can see physicists are lazy buggers -- if possible they let google do their work for them)

##\ ##

BvU said:
Note: I edited the above to get the MathJax input sorted out. Good thing you know ##\TeX## ! In PF MatJax the delimiter for inline math is ## and for displayed math you have $$ as delimiter. Apparently you know already, because you did well in

which is a start. I don't see ##x## in the exercise, only ##x_1## etc. :wink:

Yes indeed; even math.stackexchange uses slightly different mathjax syntax. I think I figured it out. Thanks :)

Last edited:
BvU said:
Aha, and in fact your link answered my confusion. Good to know I understood that much at least :wink:

Last edited:
The thread of this thread is now a bit hard to follow -- not unusual within PF, but what can one do ?

Well:
  • mark/indicate major edits
  • don't add big chunks in a post if subsequent posts then become unhinged
  • In a 'reply', remove irrelevant parts to keep the volume of repetitious stuff limited
  • use common sense :wink:
##\ ##

Likes dford

1. What are normal modes of four coupled oscillating masses?

Normal modes of four coupled oscillating masses refer to the different ways in which the four masses in a system can oscillate together in a coordinated manner. These modes are characterized by specific frequencies and patterns of motion.

2. How are normal modes calculated for four coupled oscillating masses?

The normal modes for four coupled oscillating masses can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles from classical mechanics. These equations take into account the masses, spring constants, and initial conditions of the system to determine the frequencies and patterns of motion for each normal mode.

3. What is the significance of normal modes in four coupled oscillating masses?

Normal modes are important because they provide insight into the behavior and dynamics of a system of coupled oscillating masses. They can help predict how the system will respond to external forces and disturbances, and can also be used to design and optimize systems for specific purposes.

4. Can normal modes change over time in a system of four coupled oscillating masses?

Yes, the normal modes of a system can change over time if there are changes in the system's parameters or external forces acting on it. These changes can alter the frequencies and patterns of motion for the normal modes, leading to different behaviors and responses from the system.

5. How are normal modes of four coupled oscillating masses related to resonance?

Normal modes and resonance are closely related in systems of four coupled oscillating masses. Resonance occurs when an external force is applied at the same frequency as one of the normal modes, causing the system to oscillate with a larger amplitude. This can be useful in applications such as tuning instruments or amplifying signals.