Finding a Booklist to Learn Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics

In summary: Landau and Lifshitz are very comprehensive, mathematical texts.I also recommend the following books:Principles of Statistical Mechanics by Terrell HillStatistical Physics by John PolkinghorneStatistical Mechanics of disordered systems by Ilya Prigogine and Isabelle Stengers
Sizhe
Hi, guys
I have posted this question on StackExchange, but no one seems to care answer. Because I don't think this is a simple textbook question, I start my thread here:

I know this is a big question. But as a graduate student, my research is somehow related to nonequilibrium thermodynamics/statistical mechanics. TBH, I hate how some research treat this subject like a mystery and use some theories carelessly. So I want to learn the subject at my own pace. I have finished Fermi Enrico's "thermodynamics" for a start. And I'm reading Terrell Hill's "introduction to statistical thermodynamics." Although I am pretty satisfied with the content of these two books, I have no idea where should I go from here.

Because I expect my future research will still be based on nonequilibrium thermo/stat mech, I need a booklist to guide me from "knowing something" to "knowing something advanced." In the meantime, I hope I can equip myself with advanced mathematics by going through the booklist. Can anyone provide some ideas on this?

To be more precise, my research interests include the particle diffusion in crystal materials and phase transition. And I also expect to do some research in the future about the transport of heat and charged species in the liquid or solid phase.

P.S., I am not looking for working understanding of this subject. A solid but accessible booklist would be perfect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sizhe said:
e posted this question on StackExchange, but no one seems to care answer. Because I don't think this is a simple textbook question, I start my thread here:
Wrichik Basu said:
Have a look at this course on Non-equilibrium statistical mechanics (syllabus here). Is it too trivial?
Thanks for your reply. This is not a trivial syllabus. But I am not sure if I can handle this after I finish the reading of Terrell Hill's book.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Sizhe said:
Thanks for your reply. This is not a trivial syllabus. But I am not sure if I can handle this after I finish the reading of Terrell Hill's book.
In the syllabus page, there is a section "References" with a number of books mentioned. Check them out, especially #1 and #6. The first one is written by the professor who has conducted the course. Maybe you'll get some help from the books.

When you feel you can handle the course, do attend it. Prof. Balakrishnan is a very good professor and his courses are gems.

Other than that, other members with more outlook than me will surely help you out. :smile:

Likes Sizhe and berkeman
Sizhe said:
Because I expect my future research will still be based on nonequilibrium thermo/stat mech, I need a booklist to guide me from "knowing something" to "knowing something advanced." In the meantime, I hope I can equip myself with advanced mathematics by going through the booklist. Can anyone provide some ideas on this?

To be more precise, my research interests include the particle diffusion in crystal materials and phase transition. And I also expect to do some research in the future about the transport of heat and charged species in the liquid or solid phase.

P.S., I am not looking for working understanding of this subject. A solid but accessible booklist would be perfect.

Here's a few suggestions:

Principles of condensed matter physics (Chaikin and Lubensky)
Macrotransport Processes (Brenner and Edwards)
Statistical Dynamics, Matter out of Equilibrium (Balescu)

Andy Resnick said:
Here's a few suggestions:

Principles of condensed matter physics (Chaikin and Lubensky)
Macrotransport Processes (Brenner and Edwards)
Statistical Dynamics, Matter out of Equilibrium (Balescu)
Balescu's book covers the topics I really want to know and learn. Could you please give a general idea of this book in terms of depth and mathematical rigor?

Sizhe said:
Balescu's book covers the topics I really want to know and learn. Could you please give a general idea of this book in terms of depth and mathematical rigor?

It's not a trivial book- but I can't really answer the question without knowing your 'comfort level'. It's definitely graduate level reading and there are no problems/exercises to work out.

Andy Resnick said:
It's not a trivial book- but I can't really answer the question without knowing your 'comfort level'. It's definitely graduate level reading and there are no problems/exercises to work out.
Got it. Thanks!

The volumes on thermodynamics and statistics by Landau and Lifshitz are very good books. Vol. V treats thermostatics and Vol. X kinetic theory (including the Schwinger-Keldysh real-time formalism of quantum many-body QFT, applied to the non-relativistic case). Vol. IX is about equlibrium quantum-many-body theory (nonrelativstic).

Likes Sizhe

1. What are the key concepts of nonequilibrium thermodynamics/statistical mechanics?

The key concepts of nonequilibrium thermodynamics and statistical mechanics include the study of systems that are not in equilibrium, the role of fluctuations and transport phenomena, and the connection between micro and macroscopic properties. These fields also explore how energy and matter flow and transform in non-equilibrium conditions.

2. Why is it important to learn about nonequilibrium thermodynamics/statistical mechanics?

Understanding nonequilibrium thermodynamics and statistical mechanics is crucial for explaining and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as living organisms and technological processes. These fields also provide a framework for studying irreversible processes and developing new technologies.

3. Where can I find a booklist to learn about nonequilibrium thermodynamics/statistical mechanics?

There are many resources available, including textbooks, journals, and online courses, that cover nonequilibrium thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. Some reputable booklists can be found on university websites, scientific organizations, and online book retailers.

4. What are some recommended books for learning about nonequilibrium thermodynamics/statistical mechanics?

Some popular and highly recommended books on nonequilibrium thermodynamics and statistical mechanics include "Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics" by De Groot and Mazur, "Statistical Mechanics: A Set of Lectures" by Landau and Lifshitz, and "Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics" by Zwanzig. Other notable titles include "Modern Thermodynamics: From Heat Engines to Dissipative Structures" by Kondepudi and Prigogine, and "Nonequilibrium Statistical Physics: Linear Irreversible Processes" by Malek Mansour.

5. Can I learn about nonequilibrium thermodynamics/statistical mechanics through online resources?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about nonequilibrium thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. These include lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses from reputable universities and scientific organizations. However, it is recommended to also supplement online resources with textbooks or other print materials for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.