Finding a Mistake in My Sketch: Can I Get Emergent Beam Perpendicular to AB?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an emergent beam being perpendicular to face AB in a prism. It is suggested that for this to happen, the incoming ray must be refracted towards side AC and experience total internal reflection. It is also mentioned that angle QPC cannot be 90 degrees, as it would mean the angle of refraction is zero degrees. The conversation also considers the possibility of the prism being tilted at a 30-degree angle.
songoku
Homework Statement
A light beam from a laser source which is parallel to a horizontal surface hits an equilateral prism as shown in the figure above. What is the angle α (between AB and horizontal) if the emergent beam is perpendicular to face AB? (refractive index of prism is 2)
a. 42.5 degree
b. 24.5 degree
c. 15.0 degree
d. 46.0 degree
e. 30.0 degree
Relevant Equations
Snell's law
Total internal reflection
Untitled.png

This is my sketch:

aaa.png

I think the only possible way to get emergent beam perpendicular to AB is when the incoming ray is refracted towards side AC then total internal reflection occurs as shown in my sketch.

Angle QAR = 60o and angle ARQ = 90o so angle AQR = 30o

It means angle CQP is also 30o so angle QPC = 90o, which is impossible

Where is my mistake? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram shows the ray emerging from AB, but the text does not say that.
Is that diagram as given to you, or did you make that assumption?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
... so angle QPC = 90o, which is impossible
Why is this impossible?

Likes songoku and jbriggs444
haruspex said:
The diagram shows the ray emerging from AB, but the text does not say that.
Is that diagram as given to you, or did you make that assumption?
The question states : " if the emergent beam is perpendicular to face AB".

The first diagram is from question, the second is my own sketch

TSny said:
Why is this impossible?
Because it means that the angle of refraction when the lights travels from air to prism is zero degree, which can only be obtain if angle of incidence is also zero degree.

Or are you suggesting that actually the incident ray is perpendicular to side BC so this means that the prism is tilted as far as 30o?

Thanks

songoku said:
The question states : " if the emergent beam is perpendicular to face AB".
Yes, but that is just a direction. It does not say it emerges from that face.
songoku said:
The first diagram is from question.
Ok, so it does emerge from that face, in which case...
songoku said:
the incident ray is perpendicular to side BC so this means that the prism is tilted as far as 30o?
which is indeed one of the options.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help haruspex and TSny

1. What is an emergent beam perpendicular to AB?

An emergent beam perpendicular to AB refers to a light ray that is incident on a surface at a right angle to the line AB. This means that the light ray is perpendicular to the surface at the point of incidence.

2. How can I determine if there is a mistake in my sketch?

To determine if there is a mistake in your sketch, you can use a protractor to measure the angle between the incident light ray and the surface. If the angle is not 90 degrees, then there may be a mistake in your sketch.

3. Can I get an emergent beam perpendicular to AB in real life?

Yes, an emergent beam perpendicular to AB can occur in real life. This can happen when light is reflected off a flat surface or when light passes through a medium with a different refractive index.

4. What factors can affect the angle of an emergent beam perpendicular to AB?

The angle of an emergent beam perpendicular to AB can be affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the medium, and the surface properties of the material.

5. How can I correct a mistake in my sketch?

If you have identified a mistake in your sketch, you can correct it by adjusting the angle of incidence or by making sure that the surface is flat and has the correct refractive index. You can also use a ruler or straight edge to ensure that the incident light ray and the surface are perpendicular.