Finding a parameter for which a line is orthogonal to a curve

In summary, the conversation is about determining the constant b so that the line y = -(1/3)x+b meets the graph of y^2=x^3 orthogonally. The speaker suggests using implicit differentiation to find the intersecting points of the line and curve, and then finding the value of b that makes the line pass through those points.
Lancelot1
Hiya again,

I am trying to solve this problem, I thought I got somewhere, but kinda stuck.

The graph of y^2=x^3

is called a semicubical parabola. Determine the constant b so that the line y = -(1/3)x+b meets this graph orthogonally.

I found the derivative of the curve by using implicit derivation. I have multiplied it by -(1/3) and made it equal to -1. There was no b in this equation, only x and y. I though of finding the intersecting points of the line and curve, but if I sub y by the line equation, I get an equation with two parameters. Can you help please ? Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
What I would do is observe that the orthogonal slope to the line is 3, and so if we equate the slope of the semicubical parabola to 3, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle x^2=2y\) where $0<y$.

Now, the point(s) on the semicubical parabola where this is true can be found by:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x^2}{2}\right)^2=x^3\)

\(\displaystyle x^4-4x^3=x^3(x-4)=0\)

Since $x\ne0$, we are left with $(x,y)=(4,8)$. So now, we are left to find the value of the parameter $b$ such that the line passes through that point. Can you continue? :D

Related to Finding a parameter for which a line is orthogonal to a curve

1. How do you determine the parameter for which a line is orthogonal to a curve?

The parameter for which a line is orthogonal to a curve can be determined by finding the point of intersection between the curve and the line, and then using the slope of the tangent line at that point to calculate the parameter.

2. Can a line be orthogonal to a curve at multiple points?

Yes, a line can be orthogonal to a curve at multiple points. This occurs when the curve has points of inflection or when the line is parallel to the curve's tangent line at different points.

3. What is the significance of a line being orthogonal to a curve?

A line being orthogonal to a curve indicates that the two are perpendicular to each other. This can be useful in determining the direction of a curve or in finding the shortest distance between the curve and the line.

4. Are there any specific techniques or formulas for finding the parameter in this situation?

There are various techniques and formulas that can be used to find the parameter for which a line is orthogonal to a curve. These include using the slope of the tangent line, the Pythagorean theorem, and differentiation.

5. Can this concept be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of a line being orthogonal to a curve can be extended to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, a line can be orthogonal to a surface or a curve can be orthogonal to a plane.