Prove orthogonality of these curves

berlinvic
Homework Statement
Prove orthogonality of curves
Relevant Equations
Orthogonality condition for curves
I am asked to prove orthogonality of these curves, however my attempts are wrong and there's something I fundamentally misunderstand as I am unable to properly find the graphs (I have only found for a, but I doubt the validity).

Furthermore, I am familiar that to check for othogonality (based on the video ), I need to find both derivatives and make sure their multiplication is equal to -1. However, the introduction of constant a, b in my case doesn't help that at all and I am unable to check for orthogonality.

This has been bugging me for days, I would highly appreciate if someone could put me on the right path to solve this problem

Attachments

• Work.png
    Work.png
    11 KB · Views: 26
  • Equations.png
    Equations.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 24
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

You've posted a 26-minute videos and some equations without much context. Please be more specific about what are your functions and how orthogonality is defined in this case.

Also, the homework guidelines require that you show us your best effort before we can help.

I think I posted everything that I've worked so far. The main equation for othogonality is the multiplication of derivatives of the curves equal to minus one, I mentioned it in the post as well. Additionally, I attached the photo where I show my work trying to parametrize the curves, but I'm stuck with curve y (not sure about the correctness of curve x). This is all I can think of, if you have any more inqueries I will try my best to provide more information.

berlinvic said:
I think I posted everything that I've worked so far. The main equation for othogonality is the multiplication of derivatives of the curves equal to minus one, I mentioned it in the post as well. Additionally, I attached the photo where I show my work trying to parametrize the curves, but I'm stuck with curve y (not sure about the correctness of curve x). This is all I can think of, if you have any more inqueries I will try my best to provide more information.
Are the curves: ##x^3 = 3(y -1)## and ##x(3y - 29) = 3##?

PeroK said:
Are the curves: ##x^3 = 3(y -1)## and ##x(3y - 29) = 3##?
No, sorry for confusion. In the picture I attached those are ##x=\frac{1}{2}(v_1^2-v_2^2), v_1=const## and ##y=v_1v_2, v_2=const##

berlinvic said:
No, sorry for confusion. In the picture I attached those are ##x=\frac{1}{2}(v_1^2-v_2^2), v_1=const## and ##y=v_1v_2, v_2=const##
Aren't those surfaces? Above the ##v_1, v_2## plane?

PeroK said:
Aren't those surfaces? Above the ##v_1, v_2## plane?
I don't think so based on that, v_1 and v_2 here are some constants not volumes.

Thread closed.

@berlinvic, please start a new thread with a clear problem description. Not counting this post, we're up to 7 posts in this thread and the members here still don't know exactly what the question is asking. The video you posted, as already noted, is 26 minutes long. It is unreasonable for you to expect members to watch the whole video to understand what you need to do.
Also, the attachments you posted are virtually unreadable. When I attempted to expand them, the writing is black text against a very dark background, as if what you took a picture was very dimly lit. Many posts with photos of work are similarly difficult or impossible to read, and this is why we discourage including photos of the work.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. How do you prove the orthogonality of two curves?

To prove the orthogonality of two curves, you need to show that the tangent vectors of the curves are perpendicular at the points where they intersect. This can be done by finding the derivatives of the curves and then evaluating the dot product of the tangent vectors at the point of intersection.

2. What is the significance of proving orthogonality of curves?

Proving the orthogonality of curves is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. It helps in understanding the relationship between different curves and can be used to solve problems in geometry, physics, and engineering.

3. Can two curves be orthogonal at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for two curves to be orthogonal at more than one point. This occurs when the tangent vectors of the curves are perpendicular at multiple points of intersection. Each point of orthogonality should be verified separately.

4. Are there any specific conditions for two curves to be orthogonal?

For two curves to be orthogonal, their tangent vectors must be perpendicular at the points where they intersect. This condition ensures that the curves cross each other at right angles, indicating orthogonality.

5. How can I apply the concept of orthogonality of curves in real-world scenarios?

The concept of orthogonality of curves can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as designing roads that intersect at right angles, optimizing the layout of buildings in a city, or determining the trajectory of moving objects in physics. Understanding the orthogonality of curves can help in solving practical problems efficiently.