Finding a Probability Book for Physics Students for a Complex Course

In summary, the conversation was about a student looking for additional resources to help with their course in Probability since their professor's notes were difficult to follow. The main topics they needed to study were large deviations, experimental data analysis, random walks, recurring events, chains, time-dependent processes, and entropy. The student was not looking for an introductory probability book, but rather a recommendation specifically for physics students. The conversation ended with the recommendation of two books - "Introduction to Probability Theory" by Hoel, Port and Stone, and "Introduction to Probability" by Grinstead and Snell. Both are available online for free.
mastrofoffi
Hello, I'm taking a course in Probability for which our only resource is our professor's notes but I find them somewhat hard to follow. He told us he wrote these notes because he could not find a book which contained all the topics we'll be doing, but I still hope someone here can help me find something suitable.
Here's a short summary of the main topics I'll need to study:
Large deviations
Experimental data analysis(resampling methods, analysis of unknown distributions)
Random walks
Recurring events
Chains
Time-dependent processes(Markov, Poisson, Birth and Death)
Entropy(Shannon, Kolmogorov-Sinai)

Our teacher's approach is quite heavy on the math; basic probability, complex and functional analysis are taken for granted so I'm not looking for an introductory probability book. Even if you don't know a unique book containing these topics, any particular recommendation will be appreciated, especially if it is written specifically for physics students.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) - Introduction To Probability Theory by Hoel, Port and Stone.
2) - Grinstead and Snell's Introduction to Probability (freely available at http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/book.html).

Thank you, I'll be checking these out.

1. What makes a probability book suitable for physics students?

A probability book for physics students should have a strong focus on applications and examples related to physics concepts. It should also cover topics that are relevant to complex courses in physics, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

2. Can you recommend a specific probability book for complex physics courses?

There are many good probability books for complex physics courses, but one highly recommended book is "Probability and Random Processes for Electrical and Computer Engineers" by John A. Gubner. It covers a wide range of topics and includes many examples and exercises specifically geared towards physics students.

3. Do I need a strong background in probability to understand a book for complex physics courses?

While some background in probability may be helpful, a good probability book for physics students should provide a comprehensive introduction to the necessary concepts. It should also include examples and explanations that are relevant to physics, so a strong background in probability is not always necessary.

4. Are there any online resources for complex probability in physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for complex probability in physics. Some universities offer online lectures and notes for probability courses, and there are also websites and forums where students and professors share resources and discuss complex probability topics in physics.

5. Is it necessary to have a probability book specifically for physics students, or can I use a general probability book?

While a general probability book may cover some of the necessary concepts, a book specifically geared towards physics students will provide more relevant examples and applications. This can make it easier to understand and apply probability concepts in the context of physics, so it is recommended to use a probability book tailored to the needs of physics students.