Finding a Quadratic Function from a Vertex

In summary, Jameson was able to solve for one of the variables using the equation for x under these circumstances.
cmkluza
Hello, I'm having some trouble on this question, and I'd imagine it's just because I'm looking at it incorrectly.

The problem statement is:
The quadratic function f(x) = p + qx - x2 has a maximum value of 5 when x = 3 (i.e. vertex at (3, 5), right?)

Find the value of p and the value of q.

I'll be honest, I'm completely lost. I'd imagine that since the vertex is given I'd have to try to convert the function to vertex form, but I can't see a way to do that. If I could find another point, then I could easily solve for the variables, but I don't see a way to do that. Can anyone give me a tip to get started with solving this?

Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi cmkluza,

Welcome to MHB! :)

You are correct that for a downward facing parabola, the vertex would be the maximum height. I think the following formula will be very useful. If we have $f(x)=ax^2+bx+c$, the x-coordinate of the vertex, is \(\displaystyle x=\frac{-b}{2a}\). Can you use this to find one of the variables? If you can do that then you can find the other too.

Jameson said:
Hi cmkluza,

Welcome to MHB! :)

You are correct that for a downward facing parabola, the vertex would be the maximum height. I think the following formula will be very useful. If we have $f(x)=ax^2+bx+c$, the x-coordinate of the vertex, is \(\displaystyle x=\frac{-b}{2a}\). Can you use this to find one of the variables? If you can do that then you can find the other too.

Hello, Jameson!
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the help! It seems like I always miss the little things. I completely forgot about that equation for x under these circumstances. Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function that can be written in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable. It is a type of polynomial function and is characterized by its graph which is a parabola.

2. What is a vertex of a quadratic function?

The vertex of a quadratic function is the point on the parabola where the curve changes direction from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. It is the highest or lowest point on the graph, depending on whether the parabola opens upward or downward.

3. How can I find the vertex of a quadratic function?

To find the vertex of a quadratic function, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the x^2 and x terms, respectively. Plug this value into the function to find the y-coordinate of the vertex.

4. How do I write a quadratic function in vertex form?

The vertex form of a quadratic function is f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the coordinates of the vertex and a is the coefficient of the squared term. To write a quadratic function in vertex form, you can complete the square or use the formula a = 1/4p, where p is the distance between the x-coordinate of the vertex and the x-intercepts.

5. Can I determine the equation of a quadratic function with only the vertex?

Yes, you can determine the equation of a quadratic function with only the vertex. Using the information given about the vertex, you can find the values of a, h, and k in the vertex form of the function f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k. Then, you can plug these values into the equation to get the specific equation of the quadratic function.