How Do You Calculate the Radius of a Wire Using Electrical Resistance Formulas?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has tried various formulas to solve a multiple choice question but has not been able to get close to the given answers. They are seeking help to solve the problem and have already attempted a solution involving unit conversions and using formulas for current and resistance.
elenour
Homework Statement
A wire of resistivity 3.14x10^-7 ohm m. and of length 200m. If this wire allows a flow of 2x10^19 electrons each second when its connected to a power supply of 64V, find the radius of the wire.
Relevant Equations
pi=3.14
e=1.6x10^-19 c
i really have tried all the formulas out there and can't seem to get a solid answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Ohm Is a good friend.

Show us what you tried and tell us why you think it's wrong.

Last edited:
Likes RPinPA
vela said:
Show us what you tried and tell us why you think it's wrong.
I know the answers i get are wrong because its a multiple choice question and the answers are 10^-3 m, 10^-4 m or 10^-5 m and i haven't been getting close to any 10's.
I just want to know how to solve the problem :H

elenour said:
I know the answers i get are wrong because its a multiple choice question and the answers are 10^-3 m, 10^-4 m or 10^-5 m and i haven't been getting close to any 10's.
I just want to know how to solve the problem :H
Per forum rules, you must post at least one of your attempts.

I think you are making some mistakes in the unit conversions, if we assume your approach to be correct.
1 electron contains 1.6*10^-19 C charge. So first multiply number of electron into charge, which gives us 3.2 A current. Use the formula V = IR, and calculate R. R comes out to be 20 ohms. Now calculate using the formula for resistance R= ρL/A, Find the area and then the radius of the wire according.

What is the process for finding the radius of a wire?

The process for finding the radius of a wire involves measuring the diameter of the wire using a caliper or micrometer, and then dividing that measurement by 2 to find the radius. This can also be done by measuring the circumference of the wire and using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius.

What tools are needed to find the radius of a wire?

The tools needed to find the radius of a wire include a caliper, micrometer, or ruler for measuring the diameter or circumference of the wire. A calculator or formula sheet may also be helpful for calculating the radius using the measurements.

Can the radius of a wire change over time?

Yes, the radius of a wire can change over time due to factors such as stress, temperature, and corrosion. It is important to regularly check and measure the radius of a wire to ensure its structural integrity and functionality.

What are some common uses for finding the radius of a wire?

Finding the radius of a wire is important in various scientific and engineering fields, such as material science, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering. It is used to determine the strength, conductivity, and other properties of the wire.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when finding the radius of a wire?

Yes, when using tools such as a caliper or micrometer, it is important to handle them carefully and follow proper safety protocols to avoid injury. It is also important to be aware of any potential hazards, such as sharp edges or high voltage, when working with wires.