Finding a Rational Function with data (Pade approximation)

In summary: Summary:: I need to find a function that approximates my data points by using a rational function. I am confused on how to find a f(x) to the data or is there a better way to just use the values of data in order to find the rational function.I thought about numerical differentiation in order to find f(x) at the point 0.Numerical differentiation would work, but it would be more complex. A better way to do it would be to have the function definition.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I have some points that I need to approximate a function by using a Rational function.
Dear Everybody,

I need some help understanding how to use pade approximations with a given data points (See the attachment for the data).
Here is the basic derivation of pade approximation read the Derivation of Pade Approximate.
I am confused on how to find a f(x) to the data or is there a better way to just use the values of data in order to find the rational function.
I thought about numerical differentiation in order to find f(x) at the point 0.

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Attachments

• Pade Application Problem.pdf
    206.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
cbarker1 said:
Summary:: I have some points that I need to approximate a function by using a Rational function.

Dear Everybody,

I need some help understanding how to use pade approximations with a given data points (See the attachment for the data).
Here is the basic derivation of pade approximation read the Derivation of Pade Approximate.
I am confused on how to find a f(x) to the data or is there a better way to just use the values of data in order to find the rational function.

Thanks,
Cbarker1
Why do you think you need to do the approximation with a rational function? You have 10 data points, so a 9th degree polynomial would go through all 10 points. As an alternative, you could use Bezier curve fitting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézier_curve), to find a collection of functions that fit your data points.

Because I am learning about pade approximation and I am presenting this method to my colleagues, I need to know where to start. I understand that I can do the polynomial interpolation.

cbarker1 said:
Summary:: I have some points that I need to approximate a function by using a Rational function.

According to the article in the link, you need to have the function definition in order to approximate it as the quotient of two power series. Obviously, you don't have the function definition. In the example in the article, they find the Pade approximation for ##f(x) = e^x##.
cbarker1 said:
You mean at the point (1, 20)? I don't see how that would help at all. The graph of the plotted points doesn't look to me like any rational function (other than some polynomial).

Polynomial interpolation would works well in this data. But pade approximate would better because the error would be smaller. The best situation is having a defined function that does not happen in many cases in application problems. It is usual given by data points.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It is typically written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. What is Pade approximation?

Pade approximation is a method used to approximate a function using a rational function. It involves finding the best possible match between a given function and a rational function with a specified degree. This approximation is often used when the given function is difficult to evaluate or when there is limited data available.

3. How do you find a rational function using Pade approximation?

To find a rational function using Pade approximation, you first need to have a set of data points for the given function. Then, you use the data to determine the coefficients of the numerator and denominator polynomials of the rational function. This can be done using various numerical methods, such as the least squares method or the Lagrange interpolation method.

4. What are the advantages of using Pade approximation?

One advantage of using Pade approximation is that it can provide a good approximation for a given function even when there is limited data available. It also allows for a more compact representation of the function compared to other approximation methods. Additionally, Pade approximation can be used to approximate both simple and complex functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Pade approximation?

One limitation of Pade approximation is that it may not always provide an accurate approximation for a given function. This is especially true for functions with singularities or discontinuities. Additionally, the process of finding the coefficients for the rational function can be computationally intensive and may not be feasible for large datasets.