Any tools that can help find the equation for a set of data?

In summary, there are tools available, such as regression analysis and Eureqa, that can help find the expression of a function, even if it contains complex operations such as absolute value and factorial. These tools use large amounts of data to discern a formula that describes the function.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
Are there any tools that can help me find the equation for a given set of data?
Suppose that I can generate the result of a function ## c_{x,y}=f(x,y)## by a method not involving the function ##f##. I need to find ##f(x,y)## now. The expression of ##f(x,y)## is expected to contain basic algebra operation (+-*/), power, absolute value and factorial.

I have tried to find it manually but failed (##f(x,y)## exists, I am sure). So are there any tools that can help?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
'regression analysis' is the term to search for. There are a plethora of methods to help you here.

Arjan82 said:
'regression analysis' is the term to search for. There are a plethora of methods to help you here.
Thanks, Arjan82. I have heard of it. But according to my memory, it may be mainly used to find linear or nonlinear relations or find coefficients when the basic form of the function is given. Could this be used when the function contains absolute value and factorial? I am still reading Wikipedia.

Likes Haorong Wu

1. Can I use Excel or other spreadsheet programs to find the equation for my data?

Yes, Excel and other spreadsheet programs have built-in functions and tools that can help you find the equation for a set of data. These include regression analysis, trendline, and curve fitting tools.

2. What is the best method for finding the equation for my data?

The best method for finding the equation for your data will depend on the type of data and the relationship between the variables. Some common methods include linear regression, polynomial regression, and exponential regression.

3. Is it necessary to have a large amount of data to find the equation?

No, the amount of data needed to find the equation will depend on the complexity of the relationship between the variables. In some cases, a small amount of data may be sufficient, while in others, a larger amount may be needed for more accurate results.

4. Can I use online tools or software to find the equation for my data?

Yes, there are many online tools and software available that can help you find the equation for your data. Some popular options include Wolfram Alpha, Desmos, and GraphPad Prism.

5. How do I know if the equation I have found accurately represents my data?

To determine if the equation accurately represents your data, you can use statistical measures such as R-squared value, p-value, and residual analysis. These measures can help you evaluate the goodness of fit of the equation to your data.