Finding amplitude and phase angle from a graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the period, frequency, amplitude, and phase angle from a graph without an equation provided. It is suggested to compare peaks or intersections of the graph to calculate the phase angle, and a link is provided for further guidance on understanding phase shift and angle.
spj1
I have a question asking for the period, frequency, amplitude and phase angle from simply looking at a graph. I have the period and frequency, and 'think' i have the amplitude (high point - low point / 2), but I don't know how to get the phase angle. No equation is given so I can't simply consider the coefficients in front of sin and cos.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post a picture of the graph? If you're comparing two signals, you can compare their peaks (or where they cross the x-axis), and use the difference to compute the angle.

I'm including a picture. The purple distances are both equivalent, and demonstrate the phase difference between two signals (sine waves).

If there's only one signal/line in your graph, they're likely referring to where your line crosses the x-axis, going in the positive y direction, compared to the origin of the graph, as demonstrated by the darker purple distance marking.

Digging around on the net I came across this, which might help you: http://www.intmath.com/Trigonometric-graphs/3_Graphs-sin-cos-phase-shift.php Make sure to read the comments about half way down the page regarding phase shift and phase angle.

Attachments

• PhaseAngle.png
    PhaseAngle.png
    4 KB · Views: 4,848
Last edited:

Related to Finding amplitude and phase angle from a graph?

1. What is amplitude and phase angle?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its rest position, while phase angle is the measure of the position of a wave cycle in relation to a reference point.

2. How can I find the amplitude from a graph?

To find the amplitude from a graph, you can measure the distance from the equilibrium point to the peak of the wave. This distance represents the amplitude of the wave.

3. How do I determine the phase angle from a graph?

To determine the phase angle from a graph, you can locate the point where the wave crosses the x-axis (equilibrium point) and measure the distance from this point to the nearest peak or trough. This distance represents the phase angle in degrees or radians.

4. Can I find the amplitude and phase angle from any type of wave graph?

Yes, the amplitude and phase angle can be found from any type of wave graph, as long as the wave is periodic and has a repeating pattern.

5. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to the energy of the wave. This means that a wave with a larger amplitude carries more energy than a wave with a smaller amplitude.