Finding amplitude from simple harmonic equation function

In summary: I can't follow. If v(t)=A cos(ωt+φ), then surely x(t) is not A cos(ωt+φ), so the amplitude is not equal to A.
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

The periodic motion is given in the form: f(t) = Acos(wt+φ)
What is the amplitude and phase constant for the harmonic oscillator when:

(a) f(t) represents position function x(t)
(b) f(t) represents velocity function v(t)
(c) f(t) represents acceleration function a(t)

Homework Equations

x(t) = Acos(wt+φ)
v(t) = -wAsin(wt+φ)
a(t) = -w2Acos(wt+φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) To find amplitude from a position equation, I know that amplitude is the maximum displacement of the particle in harmonic oscillation, so A=x(t)
To get A=x(t), I would need my phase of motion to be zero, so that cos(wt+φ)=1. This would occur when φ=0 and t=0.
Therefore A=x and φ=0

However, I'm not really sure why it's relevant to ask the amplitude and phase constant for the velocity and acceleration functions. Both amplitude and phase constant (φ) are determined from initial conditions, so wouldn't the amplitude and phase constant be the same for x(t), v(t) and a(t), given that it's based off the same function?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about that factor ##\omega## or ##\omega^2## ?

Advice: replace the A in your relevant equations by some other letter. It interferes with the A in the problem statement !

Actually: same for the ##\phi##. The ##\phi## in the problem statement is to be treated as a given. You can't require it to be zero afterwards...

BvU said:
What about that factor ##\omega## or ##\omega^2## ?

Advice: replace the A in your relevant equations by some other letter. It interferes with the A in the problem statement !

Actually: same for the ##\phi##. The ##\phi## in the problem statement is to be treated as a given. You can't require it to be zero afterwards...

Sorry, I don't quite understand your reply. I just know that Amplitude and Phase constant need to be determined from initial conditions.

I fear you have not understood what you are asked to do.
For a), you are to take the position as specified by x(t)=A cos(ωt+φ). In terms of the symbols in that equation, what is the amplitude, and what is the phase? Yes, it's an extremely simple question, don't try to make it complicated.

b) and c) are where the interest lies. In b), the motion is now defined by v(t)=A cos(ωt+φ). This is still SHM, but clearly the constants in it no longer have their usual meanings. 'Amplitude' still refers to the variation in x(t), so in terms of the symbols in the v(t) equation given, what is the amplitude now?

Likes vetgirl1990 and BvU
haruspex said:
I fear you have not understood what you are asked to do.
For a), you are to take the position as specified by x(t)=A cos(ωt+φ). In terms of the symbols in that equation, what is the amplitude, and what is the phase? Yes, it's an extremely simple question, don't try to make it complicated.

b) and c) are where the interest lies. In b), the motion is now defined by v(t)=A cos(ωt+φ). This is still SHM, but clearly the constants in it no longer have their usual meanings. 'Amplitude' still refers to the variation in x(t), so in terms of the symbols in the v(t) equation given, what is the amplitude now?

Ah I see what you mean... amplitude would still be "A". As in the same amplitude that was specified in the position equation.

I can't follow. If v(t)=A cos(ωt+φ), then surely x(t) is not A cos(ωt+φ), so the amplitude is not equal to A.

BvU said:
I can't follow. If v(t)=A cos(ωt+φ), then surely x(t) is not A cos(ωt+φ), so the amplitude is not equal to A.
Then I'm afraid I still don't understand.

If I understand the question correctly, you are supposed to obtain position function from each given function and then find the amplitude and phase constant.

vetgirl1990 said:
Then I'm afraid I still don't understand.
In b), you are given v(t)=A cos(ωt+φ). This defines the motion (up to a point) but do not assume that A stands for amplitude, etc.
Suppose x(t) is still SHM. Pick some new symbols to represent its amplitude, frequency and phase, then write out the equation for x(t) in terms of those. From that, obtain an equation for v(t), and compare it with the given equation.

1. What is the simple harmonic equation function?

The simple harmonic equation function, also known as the sinusoidal function, is a mathematical function that describes the motion of an object undergoing simple harmonic motion. It is represented by the equation y = A sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

2. How do you find the amplitude from a simple harmonic equation function?

To find the amplitude from a simple harmonic equation function, you can look at the coefficient of the sine or cosine term. For example, in the equation y = 3 sin(2t), the amplitude is 3. It represents the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the amplitude in a simple harmonic equation function?

The amplitude in a simple harmonic equation function is affected by the initial displacement of the object, the forces acting on the object, and the mass of the object. These factors can change the amplitude and therefore the maximum displacement of the object during its motion.

4. Can the amplitude be negative in a simple harmonic equation function?

Yes, the amplitude can be negative in a simple harmonic equation function. This indicates that the motion of the object is in the opposite direction of the initial displacement. For example, in the equation y = -2 sin(3t), the amplitude is -2, indicating that the object moves in the negative direction from its equilibrium position.

5. How is the amplitude related to the period in a simple harmonic equation function?

The amplitude and period in a simple harmonic equation function are inversely proportional. This means that as the amplitude increases, the period decreases and vice versa. The period is the time taken for one complete cycle of the motion, while the amplitude is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.