Finding amplitude, period, phase shift on uglier functions

In summary: No: lots of non-sinusoidal functions are periodic and have finite amplitudes. For example, try drawing a graph of the function ##f(x) = \sin x + 2 \cos 2x - 3 \sin^2 x ##. Of course, in such a case one would need to define the concept of "amplitude", but a reasonable definition might be ##\max \{f(x) \} - \min \{ f(x) \} .##As a side question, I thought the only functions with amplitude were sinusoidal graphs? So this does have amplitude, its just infinite?No: lots of non-sinusoidal functions are periodic and have finite
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

State the amplitude, period, phase shift, and vertical shift:

##y=\frac{5}{2}sec\left(\frac{π}{x}-4π\right)-2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Amplitude:
Amplitude is equal to the absolute value of a. So the amplitude here is ##\frac{5}{2}##

Vertical shift:
Down 2.

Phase shift and Period:
This is where I'm getting thrown off and it's because of the ##\frac{π}{x}## term.
How would I go about shaking this thing to get it into a more manageable form so that I can determine the phase shift and period? From all of the problems I've seen, x has had an integer or fractional coefficient, not been in the denominator like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Holy crap that's hideous. So how would we go about determining the period/phase shift then? The given equation came up on my homework and I was at a loss.

opus said:

Homework Statement

State the amplitude, period, phase shift, and vertical shift:

##y=\frac{5}{2}sec\left(\frac{π}{x}-4π\right)-2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Amplitude:
Amplitude is equal to the absolute value of a. So the amplitude here is ##\frac{5}{2}##

Vertical shift:
Down 2.

Phase shift and Period:
This is where I'm getting thrown off and it's because of the ##\frac{π}{x}## term.
How would I go about shaking this thing to get it into a more manageable form so that I can determine the phase shift and period? From all of the problems I've seen, x has had an integer or fractional coefficient, not been in the denominator like this.

I suggest you make a plot of the function, either using a graphing calculator, a spreadsheet, or some type of on-line graphing facility You will soon see why the question is meaningless: the function does not have a period and does not have a finite amplitude.

So the homework question is useless? That would make some sense, because the problems are apparently generated with an algorithm which allows the student to do the same types of problems repeatedly.

opus said:
So the homework question is useless?
You haven't made a typo, have you?

Is the problem supposed to be ##y=\frac{5}{2}\sec\left(\frac{x}{\pi}-4π\right)-2##? Now it's periodic, but the amplitude is still infinite.

No sir! I checked for errors. I should’ve screenshotted it.

As a side question, I thought the only functions with amplitude were sinusoidal graphs? So this does have amplitude, its just infinite?

opus said:
As a side question, I thought the only functions with amplitude were sinusoidal graphs? So this does have amplitude, its just infinite?

No: lots of non-sinusoidal functions are periodic and have finite amplitudes. For example, try drawing a graph of the function ##f(x) = \sin x + 2 \cos 2x - 3 \sin^2 x ##. Of course, in such a case one would need to define the concept of "amplitude", but a reasonable definition might be ##\max \{f(x) \} - \min \{ f(x) \} .##

opus said:

I think the term amplitude is usually defined for periodic functions, not just sinusoidals. But not all periodic functions have an amplitude. In physics the amplitude is the magnitude of the displacement from the neutral or zero position. In that sense, the amplitude of a secant function wouldn't make any sense, even as not in your case when it is periodic.

1. How do I find the amplitude of an "uglier" function?

The amplitude of a function is the distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point on the graph. To find the amplitude of an "uglier" function, you can first plot the points on a graph and then measure the distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point. Alternatively, you can use the formula amplitude = (maximum value - minimum value)/2.

2. What is the period of an "uglier" function?

The period of a function is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. To find the period of an "uglier" function, you can plot the points on a graph and measure the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs. Alternatively, you can use the formula period = 2π/b, where b is the coefficient of the x-term in the function.

3. How do I determine the phase shift of an "uglier" function?

The phase shift of a function is the horizontal shift of the graph from its original position. To determine the phase shift of an "uglier" function, you can plot the points on a graph and observe the shift from the original position. Alternatively, you can use the formula phase shift = c/b, where c is the constant term in the function and b is the coefficient of the x-term.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the amplitude, period, and phase shift of an "uglier" function?

Yes, most scientific or graphing calculators have functions that can help you find the amplitude, period, and phase shift of a function. Look for features such as "maximum," "minimum," or "zero" to find the amplitude, period, and phase shift respectively.

5. How can I apply the concepts of amplitude, period, and phase shift to real-world problems?

The concepts of amplitude, period, and phase shift are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and model various real-world phenomena. For example, in physics, these concepts are used to describe the motion of a pendulum or the vibrations of a spring. In economics, they can be used to analyze the seasonal fluctuations in sales or the growth patterns of a market. Understanding these concepts can help you make predictions and better understand real-world data.