Trigonomic Functions, Plotting from equation

In summary, the function f(x)=3cos2[x-(π/4)]+1 has an amplitude of 3, a period of π, and a phase shift of π/4 to the right. The midline is at y=1. When plotting points, a phase shift of π/4 corresponds to an initial point of (π/4, 4), and the points should line up if the function is inputted as f(x) = 3cos(2 * (x-(π/4)))+1 into the graphing software.
dylanjames
Hi All,

Having a tough time with this one and I'm not sure why.
Need to state amplitude, period and phase shift of f(x)=3cos2[x-(π/4)]+1.

Amplitude being 3, period being 2π/2=π and phase shifted (π/4) to the right.
Midline would also be at y=1

Good so far?

Right, so I know that 1/4 phase would be π/4 and therefore plotting five points from the initial (π/4,4) would give me (π/2, 1), (3π/4, -2), (π, 1), (5π/4, 4)

But then plugging the initial equation into a graphing software it appears that the points do not line up.
Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?
I have been through ALL of Khan Academys videos and this lesson is driving me f'n nuts.

ANY help appreciated. Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you posted seems to be correct.

Try typing this into the graphing software, the points should match up.

[tex] f(x) = 3cos(2x-\pi/2)+1 [/tex]

dylanjames said:
Hi All,

Having a tough time with this one and I'm not sure why.
Need to state amplitude, period and phase shift of f(x)=3cos2[x-(π/4)]+1.

Amplitude being 3, period being 2π/2=π and phase shifted (π/4) to the right.
Midline would also be at y=1

Good so far?

Right, so I know that 1/4 phase would be π/4 and therefore plotting five points from the initial (π/4,4) would give me (π/2, 1), (3π/4, -2), (π, 1), (5π/4, 4)

But then plugging the initial equation into a graphing software it appears that the points do not line up.
Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?
I have been through ALL of Khan Academys videos and this lesson is driving me f'n nuts.

ANY help appreciated. Cheers
I agree with jbstemp that your work looks fine. Possibly how you typed the function into the graphing software is the problem. It probably wouldn't like 3cos2[x-(π/4)]+1, but should work with a few more parentheses, like this: 3cos(2 * (x-(π/4)))+1

Related to Trigonomic Functions, Plotting from equation

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do you plot trigonometric functions from an equation?

To plot a trigonometric function from an equation, you need to first determine the range of values for the independent variable (usually the angle). Then, using a table of values, plug in different values for the angle and calculate the corresponding values for the function. Finally, plot the points on a coordinate system and connect them to create the graph.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a coordinate system. It is used to understand the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. The coordinates of a point on the unit circle correspond to the values of sine and cosine for that angle.

4. What is the difference between radians and degrees in trigonometric functions?

Radians and degrees are units of measurement for angles. In trigonometric functions, radians are the preferred unit because they provide a more intuitive understanding of the relationship between angles and trigonometric functions. One radian is equal to approximately 57.3 degrees.

5. How are trigonometric functions used in real life?

Trigonometric functions have a wide range of applications in real life, including in navigation, engineering, and physics. They are commonly used to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves, and also to solve problems involving triangles and circles.