Finding an element using quantum configuration

In summary, you counted the number of electrons in the element [Xe]4f14+4, and then added 4 to account for the loss of electrons.
visviva
Please post this type of questions in the homework section using the template and showing your work.
havent done this stuff in lile 5-6 years so can't remember half of what to do lel.
the first part i would like a yes/no please, Thanks. Given the quantum numbers (6,2,2,+1/2) what is the element, i said UUB becasue the first two numbers indicate 6D and the second would mean its +2 and positive spin so 6D9 which would indicate UUB?

The actual question I am having problems with is gven [Xe]4f14+4 whatis the element

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum numbers alone don't say anything about the element, they characterize an electron which can be present in any (excited need be) element. Is it an outermost electron?

visviva said:
[Xe]4f14+4

How many electrons in a neutral atom of that element?

Thats all that was given, this is why this qustion is dumb, it literally says an element with the electron configurtion [Xe]4F14+ is what? so i when to Xe and then to the F block counted 14, minused 4 bcasue of the + 4,

And was the first part Right?

thanks.

Actually the later part (the one with [Xe]4f14+4) is perfectly OK. It was the first part of your post (6,2,2,+1/2) that didn't make sense.

visviva said:
so i when to Xe and then to the F block counted 14, minused 4 bcasue of the + 4

Can you translate it into English?

6 represnt the principal quantum number, the first 2 is the angular momentum quantum number, the second two is the magnetic , and the =1/2 is the spin. so for this I am pretty sure, it would be 6D5 becasue the 6 principal quantum number and the first means a D orbital, and then it should be 6D5 becasue it has a potive spin and is i is 5 becasue the other 2nd two is the 2 for number of orbitals ( -2, -1, 0, 1, 2) so there are 5 electrons so there are 5 electrons so this should be 6D5

for the [Xe] part ment to say, started at xenon on the periodic table, because the quantum number is [Xe] 4f14, then i proceeded to the 4f block, and counted 14 elements becasue it is [Xe] 4f14 then minues 4 becasue it is +4 [Xe] 4f14+4. I am not sure if this makes sense, and I am almost 100% positive this is wrong.

If it was a neutral atom, it would have four more electrons than the 4+ ion, so you count the 14, then add another 4.

how would that work, plus 4 indicates loss of electrons since lectrons are negative, your implying that if an atom is neutral and then I become a positively charged ion i gained 4 electrons??

How many electrons do you need to add to Na+ to make it neutral?

How many electrons do you need to add to Mg2+ to make it neutral?

How many electrons do you need to add to Al3+ to make it neutral?

How many electrons do you need to add to Whatever4+ to make it neutral?

I think i understand so i did it and got Hafnium for my answer?

Looks OK.

1. What is quantum configuration?

Quantum configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels, which is determined by the quantum numbers of each electron.

2. How can quantum configuration be used to find an element?

By understanding the quantum configuration of an element, scientists can determine the number of electrons in each energy level and predict the element's properties, including its reactivity and chemical behavior.

3. What is the significance of finding an element using quantum configuration?

Being able to identify an element based on its quantum configuration allows scientists to better understand the behavior and characteristics of that element, which can have practical applications in fields such as chemistry and materials science.

4. Is quantum configuration the only method for finding an element?

No, there are other methods for identifying elements, such as using spectroscopy or mass spectrometry. However, understanding the quantum configuration of an element provides valuable insights into its electronic structure and behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using quantum configuration to find an element?

While quantum configuration is a powerful tool for identifying elements, it is not always a straightforward process. The complexity of an element's electron arrangement can make it difficult to accurately determine its quantum configuration, especially for larger atoms with many electrons.